IGNORED

Shakedown Drive Day ....Finally

Jackhammer

October 15, 2004 was the day I started the tear down and complete frame up restoration of a 260Z I bought of ebay on a whim for $900.00. Most of the build process is in my gallery...but I had to post these special.

It was great to get it out and experience the results of 2 + Years of work, frustration, sweat, disappointments, planning, changes and $XX,XXX.XX. It was an awesome feeling to say the least. She is tight and wanting to go.

Still some odds and ends to finish like the grill, hookup the sound system, work out some electrical bugs...but that is to be expected.

I am definitely a big "old" kid with a brand new Christmas toy. Her she is.

Her she is October 15th 2004.... Yuk :sick:

Z_CAR_2_001.jpg

Her she is December 16th 2006...... My Big Christmas Toy.

P10100013.JPG

P10100182.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P10100081.JPG

P10100102.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P10100161.JPG

P10100037.JPG

Tonight when I go to sleep I will have visions of 260Z's speeding in my head.

damn impressive !

made me drool !

same color i had wanted to paint my scarab before the body shop went belly up and i was lucky to get my z back.

interior is a perfect update. gives me some ideas.

how much work were you able to do yourself and what did you have to farm out. i am guessing, like most of us, you did what you could and reluctantly paid or traded for the rest.

knowing what you did yourself, might encourage me to at least give it a try myself before paying someone.

again

DAMN !!!!

Enigma...I appreciate your compliment. The seats are a set those knock off racing seats found on ebay. My upholstery guy made the difference.

Wayne....Thank You. The color is Bright Medium Platinum a Chrysler color. As far as work done myself versus others. I did the entire disassembly. There was not a bolt or piece left together. My brother and I did all the floor pan replacement and metal work, rust proofing ,suspension work, connecting and strengthening the sub frames and assembly of things not related directly to the engine,drive train and electrical. My son in law and myself did the paint and body. I had a custom shop do the engine,transmission and electrical. I also had the upholstery done by a custom upholstery shop. I was directly involved in everything that went on or was done to the car. Personally ordering every part. Did I save money? Probably not a lot. But I have the complete satisfaction that the car is me...for better or worse. I am not sure that it answers your question. Rest assured it takes a lot of time, money, patience and a understanding wife if your married. Mine is a saint...thank God. And another thing God help you if your a perfectionist. I am not sure if I have encouraged or discouraged you... I am just relating to you my experience.

One final thing and this came out to be very accurate. Multiply everything by 2.5 times. In the final analysis this proved very accurate.

Gezzer...Thank You for such a place of honor.

JL .... Thank You for the complement. You are doing yours right...there was many times I wished my project Z was in California...so I would not be constantly obsessing over it. Out of sight out of mind, perhaps?

I just noticed the stitching around the dash. Very very nice. Was it done in leather or or vinyl? The more I look at this the job you did the more I notice and the more inspired I become. I think you've gotten me in trouble. I'm already picturing a Ferrari style tan leather interior to replace my original butterscotch vinyl. LOL

Enigma...The dash as well as ALL the plastic panels were covered in Mello-Hyde. It is a vinyl that looks and feels like leather. The dash also if you notice was done in black around the gages and down to the console. The rest was done in the same color as the seats and door panels. That color is Iron.... it has a slight metallic look to it that picks up light and changes from silvery to dark gray. Very different. It was all French stitched and really needs to be seen in person to appreciate the nuances.

With your color a buckskin Mello-Hyde all French stitched would look awesome. I can see it.:classic: