IGNORED

installing a window crank?

atomreflex

My window crank/handle broke off my door. Darn the cheap plastic/fake metal!

Anyway I bought a replacement window crank from ebay but, I don't know how to install it. It seems to be bolted into the door, as I imagine it has to connect to the window that way, but I'm not sure how to remove the door.

If anyone can help, I would be grateful!

Sky;

When you say the handle broke off the door, I'm presuming you're referring JUST to the handle part and that the splined shaft is still protruding from the door panel. The splined shaft is a tube that looks like someone extended an asterisk (*) into a long tube and left the spaces between the "arms" in the length of the tube.

If that is the case, then it's easy.

The handle should have a clip on the underside of it that looks like the Greek letter Omega (Ω). This clip fits around the main tube on the handle and protrudes it's little "feet" INTO the tube's inside diameter. To install the handle, place it in position on the door at approximately the same mirrored position as the other door. (What this means is that if the passenger side door has the window closed and the handle is at the "9:00 o'clock" position, then put the driver's side door handle at the "3:00 o'clock" position.) Once the handle is positioned on top of the splined shaft, hold it firmly and give the large circle part (the one on top of the splined shaft) a swift smack with either your hand or a rubber mallet. This should force the clip to spread and snap back into position once the handle has reached it's proper position on the shaft.

If on the other hand, your statement of the handle breaking off the door means that you have NO splined shaft ... then you have a different problem and you need a new window regulator mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Enrique

i didn't see a protruding securing clip, unfortunately. what snapped off was basically almost the entire handle up to the big round part that is stuck into the door. i peeked into the piece attached to the door and saw that it had the splined shaft, but the piece that goes over it, is still stuck to it and won't pry loose. i was hoping that i could just get a new securing clip (didn't come with the window crank that i bought on ebay) and pull off the old left over handle or pry it off with a screwdriver, then mallet-tap on the new one.

but it seems like since the splined shaft is connected to the window mechanism (regulator?), that i would have to remove the door interior panel and door glass to fix it?

is that too difficult to manage without a help or should i go to a body shop or mechanic for that kind of work instead?

thanks for your help enrique!

Sky:

Don't take it to a body shop. This is still in the realm of a very simple fix and we can get you through it.

That you still have the large part of the Window Crank Handle attached to the door, and that it is giving you troubles to remove is a good sign. It says that you should ONLY need to replace the Crank Handle and be on your way.

Take a look at the new handle you have, specifically the corresponding big round part. You'll see that the "back" side of it ( the side that faces the door panel) has a "tube" sticking out of it, that if you look deep inside of it, has teeth similar to a gear. Those are the splines that mesh with the splined shaft I've been referring to.

Now, on that tube, you should be able to see two slots cut into the side of it that go through the tube. That's where the securing clip's "feet" go through to hold the Crank Handle onto the Splined Shaft of the Regulator.

If you'll recall the clip is shaped similar to the letter Omega. The round part of the clip goes around that tube on the crank handle. If you get a small piece of wire and bend it into a "J" hook shape, you can reach between the door panel and the Crank Handle Slip Washer(and don't be worried/surprised if it isn't there) or the remains of the crank handle and tug on the securing clip. Imagine using a bent hook to lift on the handle for a bucket and you'll get the idea of what you're doing. The slip washer is only a piece of plastic to protect the door panel from the securing clip, but it does "disappear" over the years and unless your door panels are in excellent condition, don't fret over it.

Since the securing clip can only mount with the round part either in line with the handle, or on the opposite side of the tube from the handle (which is now missing on your car), you should be able to hook it easily enough. Once you hook it and are able to pull off the hook (keep an eye on it, as you don't have a spare), the remains of the crank handle should come right off.

Now, put the security clip on the new handle, it should be fairly obvious how it goes now. Collect the Window Crank Slip Washer that goes between the handle and the door panel vinyl and put it on the splined shaft before you slap the new handle into place as I described in the prior post.

Hope this gets it

Enrique

I must say that was some of the most clear instruction I've seen in some time! Enrique, that was well written and concise - good job!

Now, I have a question - my entire driver side handle won't stay on, I am missing the circlip (omega-shaped clip). I haven't made a real attempt to find one since my car isn't a daily driver, but are these available from places like Black Dragon or MSA?

Rich

I've made it a habit when I'm at the junkyards to collect things like those clips, the clips that hold the door locks in place, e-clips for the type B shift levers, and any of those little things that you don't think about until you need them. But they are still available at the dealer and on eBay. Part no. 54229-0201P-about $.60 ea. or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Window-Crank-Retaining-Clips-240Z-280Z-280ZX-510_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34206QQihZ016QQitemZ260062448203QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

No need to take it to a body shop to remove the broken handle.

Take a rag and slide it between the broken handle and the door panel (as if you were slipping a piece of paper in there). Now pull the rag tight and bring your hands around to 45 and 310 degrees. Pull the rag towards you and the clip will pop out and the broken handle will come off the shaft.Your hands need to be hard against the door panel to do this.

Basically, what you are doing is using the rags edge to spread open the clips "J" ends and then pushing it over the shaft. Then it just pops off. Simple and very easy.

Not a very good explanation but it works everytime and will take 5 seconds max.