IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

• 1 month later...

I got so excited when I found this thread. Just recently bought myself a 1972 240z started to get the dash out and everything was working smoothly until i bumped my steering column. Driver side just broke off it was very brittle. No luck in saving it now. No idea what to do now. Any suggestions?

got pictures of this dash? i cant imagine the whole dash broke apart just by bumping the steering column.

I got so excited when I found this thread. Just recently bought myself a 1972 240z started to get the dash out and everything was working smoothly until i bumped my steering column. Driver side just broke off it was very brittle. No luck in saving it now. No idea what to do now. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am in the process of repairing my dash as well and I just wanted to share something. I am using the Bondo brand bumper repair kit.(similar to SEM). Yesterday I had the dash laying on my bench about 4' high and this morning when i came out to the garage it was laying on the ground. I thought for sure it was ruined. To my surprise it held up perfectly. No cracks at all. This stuff is strong and I see this as a permanent fix.

post-29861-1415082820145_thumb.jpg

post-29861-14150828200852_thumb.jpg

post-29861-1415082820117_thumb.jpg

I ended up using Evercoat flexible poly for my coating. I saw lots of posts about NAPA and Bondo, etc, but those didn't have enough product for what I was wanting. Lots o cracks. It sands well, which was a concern of mine. I will post pics as soon as I get it finished. Thanks for the inspiration!

I attempted a repair with SEM bumper repair and was shocked just how fast it set up. I did manage to get a butt joint bond to the vinyl on two of the three cracks. I thought this might be sufficient as I had stop drilled the ends of the cracks.

The repairs last a matter of weeks before the butt joints failed and a hairline crack re-appeared. Considering the thinness of the crack, I tried filled with crazy glue filled with micro-balloons used in model aircraft. This also failed. At first I thought it was caused by heat, but over time I've noticed the cracks widen on a cold night and close up in the hot summer sun.

I have come to realize that the butt joint will never be strong enough using any kind of adhesive due to the small bonding area. The would indicate a lap joint is needed by inserting a piece of plastic bridging both sides of the crack. Getting good pressure to achieve a good bond would problematic when pressing against the soft, deteriorating foam rubber.

I recalled Edd China doing a front plastic bumper cover repair on Wheeler Dealers. He made a point of drilling holes on each side of the crack so that the epoxy not only spanned across the crack, but also through the hole.

The Six10 material looks promising. I'm contemplating adding a substrate to for a lap joint, adding through holes, and securing the substrate with sheet metal screws while waiting for the epoxy to set up. After its sets up, I'll remove the screws and fill the holes with more Six10.