IGNORED

msa header

madkaw

Arne,

I guess my brain is fried,because i actually posted on that thread. I remember that it was the aft intake hitting on his engine where mine the forward intake is hitting. I guess i am having a hard time convincing myself to grind a freshly powder coated intakes because the header was not made correctly. Either way, I'm waiting to hear what MSA has to say after they see the pics

• 2 months later...

I figured I should put a conclusion to this header story. As you can tell from the date this has dragged on a bit. At first I complained about the fitment issue to a rep. at MSA and I sent along the pictures. Although I recieved friendly service it was not good service for the fact that I had to continually follow up with different reps to get any resolve to my complaint.No one seem to have a good handle on what was going on and things seemed disorganized at MSA.

I was told that I was the only one that had this issue:surprised . Well the header got sent back to MSA after some more confusion. It was concluded that yes, the header hit the manifold like I said:rolleyes: I was sent a new header that was made differently with a new flange design. The new header flange actually has drilled holes for the studs instead of slots. It looks better and lines up better with the ports but still hits the intake in the same spot. It isn't as bad as the previous header but I still had to grind off a 1/4" or better to get clearance .

At this point I have been dealing with Sal directly on this issue since I have sent some e-mails expressing my disappointment on the way this whole matter has been handled. I have told him that the new header still hits but he says that he tried it on a block with su intakes and it does not hit. So I guess i have a unique set up or something-though it is stock as far as I know.

I am not writing this to flame MSA because i have been happy with many of their products ,but I am sharing my experience with the MSA header for the Z community to know. This kind of stuff goes on with all aftermarket parts ! I think MSA tries hard for customer satisfaction but I have a hard time believing that it should be acceptable to grind intakes for a header to fit properly.

post-7622-14150799159806_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150799160365_thumb.jpg

Thanks,Yes I did then had parts clear powder coated.

I only started this thread in order educate we members to what the vendors are offering us. I am not picking on MSA , and i waited to post anything till I had exhausted all my customer options with the company. The header is nice and the new flange works well, and if you can deal with grinding on the intake or the fact it isn't a bolt on as advertised then buy it. If you have the early intakes that don't have the coolant bowls on the bottom then you might not have to grind at all.

Every header I've installed on a L6 (about a dozen for myslef and my customers) except for one required some work to fit and flow correctly. That includes MSA 6 into 1 and 6 into 2, Nissan Motorsports 6 into 2 (both 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" primaries) and an old JDM BRE style header. The only one that did not require any fitment or port matching was a Stahl header.

Remember, anytime any vendor tells you that a part is "bolt on", know that you'll need a $10,000 mill and a $5,000 lather to make it "bolt on."