IGNORED

15 x 7 Panasport/Konig Tire choices

jmark

I have a stock height '78 280Z and am looking to purchase Panasport/Konig Rewind 15 x 7 silver rims. For this setup my tire choices appear to be:

205/60 15

225/50 15

225/55 15

I have used the tire calculator & the top & bottom sizes appear to be closest to my stock 195/70 14's.

Recommendations?

The 225/50-15 is a bit shorter than stock, much the same height as a 215/60-14 would be. As noted, there is a bit of a concern about clearance with this width as well, but many people have no significant issues with it.

The 225/55-15 would be a nice size, except that the choices are EXTREMELY limited. This was the optional size on '93-94 BMW 325i with Sport package. I don't think there were ever more than 4 companies making this size, and it's down to 1 ot 2 now. Not really a viable choice, IMO.

The 205/60-15 is a great all-around choice for daily driving. Wider than stock, it's not so wide that you have clearance issues. Height is about the same as stock so your gearing and speedo calibration are virtually unchanged. And there are lots of choices in this size.

I'm still researching wheels for my new 240Z, and the Konigs are one I'm considering (if I can deal with the cap issue). If I go 15", I'll do 205/60s on mine.

Thanks keep the info coming. Arne sounds like we are at the same point. I def. want 15" X 7' rims in silver for my '78 280z. First choice is Panasport for sure if cost is no issue. My '71 240Z has Panasports with 205/60-15's. The Konig Rewinds are a great deal but there is the center cap issue. I can get a new set of Konigs & tires for less a set of Panasports cost & have money left over. Leaning towards the 205/60-15 tire as well. It seems to be an upgrade to the stock size, reasonable number of choices and cheap. The 205/55-15 is a great size but as you say hard to find and costly.

Actually, I'd prefer to stay with 14" if I could (the tall sidewall looks more "correct" to me on an early car), but in Konig that means 225/60-14 to keep stock height, and I don't want to go that wide. Panasport does show a 14x6 option, but the Panasports - while they are beautiful - also look more modern to me than the Konigs do. Every way I go I run into snags....