IGNORED

Smart car

george71z

They're also currently available in Canada, although I would be concerned with the capabilities in the snow....they're narrower than most cars on the road. One here in Ottawa is licensed "SPLATT" which I think is rather appropriate....

GWGarrard

They're also currently available in Canada, although I would be concerned with the capabilities in the snow....they're narrower than most cars on the road. One here in Ottawa is licensed "SPLATT" which I think is rather appropriate....

GWGarrard

Yes, There's a black smart car that I see at the post office a couple times a week. I live four miles south of B.C. and many Osoyoos resident have a mailbox in Oroville because the mail gets here faster they say (about 1/3 of all the boxes, the Postmaster says). Even if people in Canada are mailing things to other Canadians, it seems to get to Oroville faster than if they are mailing to Osoyoos. We get the Osoyoos newspaper a week late thru the mail even though its just a short drive away. Anyway, don't think I'd fit in one of those smart cars -- one advantage of being smaller is you can fit in smaller cars -- me, my late father's 1990's Mercury Marquis was just barely big enough for my long legs. Glad the Zs allow for my 6'6" frame.

Stephen, must be a Cali thing -- I think you guys get a lot more models there than we do in Wash. State. We didn't have those Suzuki Samaris nearly as early as you guys did I believe, then all of the sudden they were showing up here new and then a bunch of older used ones came in from somewhere.

Ha ha, yhea I see a few of those X90s every day. I've tried fitting in one and I'll tell you it's not something for the weak-willed (or fat).

The Smart ForTwo is going to be sold here by Mercedes dealers (who own Smart, which is far from profitable). The cars are made in France and shipped whereever. They're mostly plastic which makes them light and cheap to service and insure.

All Smarts (ForTwo, the now discontinued ForFour and the Roadster) have a 690 (700) cc turbo petrol engine, good for 60 horsepower there or thereabouts.

I'd actually consider one when they hit here, but Merc is telling dealers to expect to sell them for EIGHTTEEN THOUSAND! Sorry, I'll buy a Yaris...or if you want a rebodied Renault, buy a versa.

I live by Toronto, and theres a few dealerships (Mercedes Benz) for them here, and you see them all over the place. Although I've 'heard' they are designed to be really safe, I can't say Id want to see one after a wreck. My wife's Honda CRV is a smaller SUV, and its funny passing a Smart ForTwo on the highway doing 100km/hr +. As it goes by I have to look straight down beside me just to see it. I can see why they would be popular for a city car - small/cheap on gas/etc. Its hard owning a car if you live in the city. Most people just dont have parking or its too expensive to drive/park when you could just take transit.

Zak