IGNORED

Restoration is back on track (with a lot of help)

Mike

As far as your Qtr. Window Dog leg trims, are you re-using the old ones from long ago? If so, is the chrome starting to peel? If so, I ~may~ have a fix for you. Give me a PM.

E

Would this same fix apply to the chrome on the door panels?

The vinyl is glued down. :) We actually put a layer of jute behind the vinyl to give it some additional insulation properties. It just didn't look right glued directly to the metal.

Carpet and vinyl were purchased from Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun. His stuff took longer to get, but, it was worth it in the end.

If you buy from him, please tell him that you talked with us at the club.

-- Mike

What kind of jute did you use? I have been trying to locate some jute like the original brown stuff that is under the carpets. Anybody ever find a source for that?

TIA,

Marty

Mike:

Are your seats original vinyl? If repros, where'd you get them?

Car looks great! Mine's still getting paint and bodywork, but this is making me excited to get it back and begin reassembly!

Do we get a discount for mentioning CZC.com if ordering from Les? Mmm? Mmm? (Kidding--well, sorta...)

Steve

I "fixed" the chrome on my door panels using silver tape from a hardware store that is normally used to seal duct work. Clean the surface really well, cut the tape into 1 cm strips and carefully stick it down, making sure not to get any wrinkles. Use a wooden stick or something to press the edges and get a good seal. Mine have been on for years and have not peeled.

They are not as shiny as the original so I wouldn't call this a "concourse" fix but it looks good. Enrique, if you have a better method, I'm all ears.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted here in awhile. There has been a lot of things in my life going on recently. Since summer ended, the progress on the Z has been slow. Here are a few updates. I'll try to get some more picts soon.

- Interior is complete.

- Installed rebuilt wiring harness.

- Installed new fuse box from MSA (old one was wrong model).

- Battery tray welded in place and painted.

- Headlight buckets repaired, painted and installed.

- Received new airdam from MSA.

- Painted and prepped airdam (still needs to be installed).

- Rear panel finished paint. Needs to be mounted.

- Ordered and received remaining electrical parts.

- Soldered and identified most under-dash wiring. Still a few to go. :)

- L28 engine & head sent to machine shop for rebuild & new cam.

- Purchased and connected new sealed battery.

- Tested electrical system.

- Rewired turn signal switch.

That's about it. In the last few months it has been going slow, but, it's still on the roadmap to be completed before next season.

As far as discounts from Les, I believe he will 'treat you right' because you are part of the club. Do me a favor, tell him you saw his stuff on my restoration.... I told him that I'd say good things about his shop. http://www.classicdatsun.com

MSA also offers a discount to our club members. But, they can't get some of the stuff Les can get. Firewall material, the best vinyl pattern, and some others...

Hi Mike,

Slightly ,off topic, but since CDM is interwoven in this thread....

I bought a bunch of stuff from Les soon after this thread started. Told him about the CZC.com reference, no discount for me. BUT, stuff shipped out pretty quickly. The carpet set he sells is cut pile, not loop, so be forewarned for those going for the authentic look... The seat sets and foam are top notch, and easy to install at home. I installed them on my old frames over the course of three sunny days.

Can you do a short tech article on how you went over your wiring harness for those of us noobs who need to do a similar task?

Let's see some pics of your progress, Mike!

Thanks,

Steve

post-7009-14150798911776_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150798912524_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150798912966_thumb.jpg