IGNORED

Tell us about your Z!

hls30.com

What condition is your Z in?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What condition is your Z in?

• Mint pushed / pulled from the garage to the trailer and back...
    • A fine Show Piece, Garage kept, driven in beautiful weather
    • Excellent driver condition - Usually my trans- portation of choice, outrageously maintained.
    • Very good, Daily trans- portation, well maintained.
    • Good presentable Daily trans- portation, maintained monthy
    • Good mechanical shape, but needs some attention.
    • OK-needs more attention.
    • Street worthy as long as it is daylight with no rain!
    • Running and moving under its own power, not dependable.
    • Needs help as does the owner
    • It has wheels, and the horn works when you put the battery to it!
    • A Nasty pile of parts in which hides a beautiful Z
    • Sh!t, so you're the one that owns that pile of junk
    • I can't remember, the city / county haulled it away
    • Nicely boxed, waiting for A CZC help a member month!

I've had my '72' since 77-78 can't remember right now. I was the second owner. I had sold a 66 mustang convertable 6 cyl, with the GT interior package to buy the Z. When I got it it was in great condition with only the diff. bracket needing replacement. I got it for $1500.00. The orig color was that gator aide yellow. It has also been white then red with corvette tail lights and now it's a Nissan Champagne convertable. It has a L28, with headers and triple mikunis. I drive it to car shows and just enjoy the car in general.

Definitely not a show car. It runs and drives now (didn't when I bought it), and does have a little rust. And yes, there are piles of parts all over the house - in the RV pad, all over in the garage, in the spare bedroom, and now in the living room as well.

<i>It has wheels,and the horn works-when you put the battery to it!</i>

Pretty much sums it up. I've got a 1972 240Z that I bought two years ago for $750. So many problems arose, but after researching Z's within those years, I should've expected it. It's almost ready for paint now though, so that's good.

Mine is currently down for a suspension/brake refresh, but it is a fine example of a well maintained, mostly original, low mileage, one owner, weekend driver with only some very minor surface rust on the undercarriage which is slowly dissapearing. Suspension refresh consists of refinishing all components and replacing shocks and springs with Tokico HPs and Tokico reds. It has an early 5sp and has recently received a 79-81 electronic dizzy, MSD 6AL w/Blaster II coil, and Taylor spark plug wires. now that it's stopped raining, I should be able to fininsh the job and get her back on the road. I can't wait. :)

Mine's a 71 that is also currently down. Been in the family since new. Refreshing the brakes and fule system currently and hoping to have it up by the middle of summer. I've never driven a Z but sure can't wait to drive mine soon! From what ya'll have said, it is an experince enjoyed by few!

Mine is a driver. Daily driver for the first 17 years, and then about twice a week since then. Nowadays, I average about 50 miles a week. Over all these years, it has probably only been out-of service a total of 4 or 5 weeks (during engine swaps/rebuilds, paint/body shop, etc.)

Bought it new in 1972 while in the Marines, using a re-enlistment bonus to pay cash for the car. Had a BRE/Interpart header, spook, and rear spoiler installed by the dealer at delivery. After I had the car for a month or so, drove up to the BRE shop in El Segundo and bought the Mulholland suspension package. In ’73, put in a hotter cam. In ’74, bought a new WR OD 5-speed, driveshaft, and R-190 LSD w/4.44 gears from Datsun Comp ($575 through a mechanic friend at a dealer!). The car scooted pretty good with that gearing. Car was up on blocks for a year while I was stationed in Japan in late ’74 into ’75. By 1977, wanted more power, so skipped the triple carb scene and went with a 331ci SB Chevy – 11:1 forged, cam, Edelbrock Tarantula manifold, Holley double-pump carb, headers. Had to pull the R-190/4.44 out and put a R-180/3.36 in for the V-8 (the R-180 lasted while the V-8 was in!). After 5 years with the V-8, I got married, needed a better transportation car, and was getting caught up with smog/legal issues, so in 1982, put in an L-28 with just a slightly hotter cam, and another 5-speed. In 1983, the R-180 pinion gear finally failed while I was doing a 1-2 shift (must have been something to do with the V-8 service!) so put in an R-200/3.54. In ‘86/’87, did a moderate refresh of the car – went through the mechanicals, had it repainted original color (901 silver). Then, didn’t do much but drive and enjoy it for nearly 20 years. Then, last summer, started a mechanical refresh again (mostly suspension). In December (unfortunately) the head cracked and I had an oil pan full of coolant – so, an unplanned engine rebuild. As long as the engine was apart, went with flat-tops and a hotter cam. In January ’06, decided to go to the MSA show, so I worked on the cosmetics a bit and finally refreshed the interior. The SUs that are currently on the car have never been rebuilt so next up will be Z-Therapy carbs. After that, the car will be ready for another 20 years of driving. I will then be about 75 years old, and will probably not be able to steer the thing, so will have to pull out the quick steering knuckles and put stock ones in, and put in a really BIG steering wheel … and then drive it some more!

It’s been a long, but fun, 33 ½ years of ownership !

I bought my baby in 1996 she was sitting in a used car lot out in Santee, California (San Diego suburb). She was in pretty good condition. A little rust under the seats and a fading paint job. Since I didn't have a garage in San Diego I did as much as I could to refresh the suspension and engine. She still had her flat top carbs. I bought some round tops and started working on the center piece of my engine bay. It took me almost a year to get the round tops done. Then when I moved up to New York in 2002 I started a ground up restoration. Put her on the rotisserie and went to work 2 1/2 years later she was done. Now almost a year later I've put almost 500 miles on her.

It's funny even though I tell my wife the car is done I'm still planning on more upgrades MSD6AL, a R-200, and some leather seats that are being done right now.:classic:

Ok about my Z. Lets see here Will. I bought a 76 280Z from the parts manager at the local Nissan dealer (Vaden Nissan (912) 920-5480, Cheap plug but he will get almost everything you need). He got it in a deal on his new house.

The Good Stuff:

It has no major rust and most of the service records all the way back to the original owner. I have the original window sticker that was on the car from the dealer. It has dealer installed AC, 4 speed tranny, 3:5 rear end, polished rims 14" with new tires, polished valve cover (Thanks To HLS30.COM :P ), almost perfect insides, custom headlight harness by me, aviation steel braided hoses, no Bumpers, striaght pipe exhaust, all locks work along with all guages except clock, doors don't rattle, cheap cold air intake, custom grill and its fast enough to smoke those that don't see me coming.

The Bad Stuff:

The guys at work (with Hondas, Neons, VW's and Mustangs) won't go to the track or street and race me :( . It has been painted gray over the baby blue color :( and its pealing, needs new struts, poly bushings, brake upgrades, along with new weather seals all the way around it, has bad half shafts (U-joints).

The Better Stuff:

Its going to get a new turbo engine .30 over, upgraded cam, big throttle body, bigger injectors, custom fuel rail, custom electric fan, early 260Z 5 speed and 3:90 diff, after market fuel system, shot of NOS, disk brakes, new paint(original color), ground effects, custom seats(power if I can), coilovers, lowered 1" and tinted windows LOL