IGNORED

Installed 83 5sp have ?

TBK1

got the engine swap done ( Built 2600 with 83 zx 5 sp) question is clutch adjustment. are all the componets from the 77 supposed to work with the tranny, clutch master, slave piston shaft length. seems like I need alittle more

pedal for clutch depression. engages and disengages aprox 1 to 2 inches from the floor, lots of top pedal! clutch is a center force dual, whatever that means, and is relatively new. system has a new outa box slave and has been bled well!

Thanks in advance.

heres acouple pics of the new.

post-7742-1415079725892_thumb.jpg

post-7742-14150797259789_thumb.jpg

unless you're real strong, no. you cant move the fork by hand.

If you want a little more adjustment in the fork, swap it for an early 4-speed fork with the hole at the end for an adjustable push rod out of the slave.

thats what I have on the 70. I have a 70' 240Z w/ 79' 5-speed that has all the 70 style clutch stuff (flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, short TOB sleeve, and adjustable fork.

The forks are identical except for the adjustment hole and a smaller hole for a tension spring that attaches to the slave cylinder.

You want 1/8" to 3/16" free play between the master cylinder and the rod. You kinda have to look up under the dash while you push the clutch pedal. Don't do it by free play on the pedal because you NEED play in between the master and the rod, and the clutch pedal tends to oval out its hole which can make it seem like there is more free play there than there really is.

Different pressure plates make for different lengths in movement. the early (70 to 73?) style P.P's are deeper than the later style.74 and up.

This info may be wrong but the replacement clutch assembly that I got for my 70'Z was 1/2" shorter than my stock one. I also know that the 5-speed that I just put into my Z had a longer (about 3/4") throw out bearing sleeve than my 70' sleeve

FWIW,

Dave.

This one has the centerforce dual clutch so guess Ill just have to play around. The issue Im haveing is mainly during downshifting into 2nd or speed shifting into second, it sorta gets a small grind like the clutch isnt disengaged enough. the 77 5spd did about the same but not as bad, maybe Ill re-bleed the system and see if it helps?

I do not think you have made clear what year Z you have. The MSA catalog says that for the centerforce clutch you have, you will need to change to the 280Z T.O. bearing collar for 70 thru 74 Zcars. Years 74 1/2 to 78 should be all set up for the CF Dualfriction clutch.

I have a 77, with a 2600 out of a 74 with the 83 zx 5sp and CC dual clutch, bought as a complete assembly and guy mentioned the diff in TO bearings incase I wanted to go to a Diff tranny, So I beleive I have the right one!

I went through this same drill with my '71. I put a '83 5-speed in it with a CF II unit. I barely could get the clutch to disengage. I played with the linkage under the dash and on the slave cylinder. I finally go 1-2". Now it works just fine. After the disc wore in, it shifts and drives very well. You just need to be patient. It will come around.

I do not know why someone has not put together a kit for these 5-speeds/280Z combo. A clutch arm, T/O bearing(collar) and slave cylinder for each transmission/clutch assy will sell for less than $100 and save a lot of work for the ZGuys.