IGNORED

What do Original 240Z Wheels Look Like?

cloudbaseracer

I didn't realize this was some sort of mystery wheel. I call these "Iron Cross" wheels. 40300-N3225 and N3227

Isn't the "Iron Cross" wheel a different design altogether? ( it actually looks like a German / Maltese cross ). I thought that first came on the S130-series?

Yes, This one is the Iron Cross ZX wheel

guides_79280z.jpg

ROFL Reminds me of the ebay.com.au auction in which someone was selling a set of these that had been painted red, and the seller swore black and blue that they were standard on the 240z, even though people had sent him messages that they were from a 280zx. He even went as far to say that if you had seen a 280zx these wheels would look too small on in it as its a big car:stupid:

Anybody else think the Iron Cross wheels design was inspired by the wheels on the 216X concept car?

post-1278-14150797252066_thumb.jpg

Mr. Badmood is struggling today. I said; "I call these..." Thank you for posting a wheel that you call by the same name. Very interesting. Actually, the wheel in question as well as the S130 wheel doesn't have a name other than "road wheel". So there! I'm still correct!

All you had to do was look at my avitar. Chris, I've always heard of the S130 wheels referred to as "Iron Cross". I've never heard of the wheels on my car referred to as that although some people wrongly refer to them as "Black Pearl" wheels. Alan, I don't know why the US number would be different. I believe that the became an option here in 1974 when the US 260Z was introduced. As far as I can tell, they are the same wheels. Similar situation with the wheels on my 810. In the US they're 40300-U8925 and in Australia they are 40300-R4671.....same wheel.

• 7 years later...
This is a pic of the rims on my 1970 240z. I think they might have been dealer add on's but I have seen pics of 3 other datsun 240z's online with the same rims.

They are all aluminum rims.

Those are Minilites or copies thereof.

All US 240Zs came with steel wheels+wheel covers from the factory. Yours are aftermarket, whether dealer add-on or not.

Thanks for the info LeonV.

It turns out they are original aluminum Minilites of the 1970's era. I did some research and discovered they also made them in Magnesium. The problem with the Magnesium rims is that they increasingly become brittle over time. They are also susceptible to lighting on fire due to heat. I am glad mine are the aluminum rims.