IGNORED

What do Original 240Z Wheels Look Like?

cloudbaseracer

I have tried to search for original 240Z wheels to get an idea of what they look like. I have not really found any information that lists this with pictures, names or descriptions. I have seen some of the cars that have hubcaps with a D in them and others with what looks like a four spoke wheel (no hubcaps). What was standard (or at least a factory upgrade) on a '70 240Z? Did it change for '71 or '72?

If I buy a '70 - '71 car that does not have the original wheels, can these be purchased? If so, what do they usually cost?

Thanks,

James

As far as I know they all came with narrow steel wheels and hubcaps. The early hubcaps had the D as you mention. The later hubcaps had a Z emblem in the center. An eBay search for "240Z hubcaps" shows three sets there right now.

Most of the original wheels were replaced, often at the dealer before the car was even sold. Slotted "Mag" wheels were popular at the time. The fact that so many of the original wheels and hubcaps were tossed out is what is causing people to pay high prices for originals in good condition.

And to clarify, here in the US at least, there was no such thing as a "factory" mag wheel option for a 240Z. There were lots of dealer installed mags, but none were offered or approved by the factory, and every dealer had different choices, depending on what they could get the best buy on.

I have tried to search for original 240Z wheels to get an idea of what they look like. I have not really found any information that lists this with pictures, names or descriptions. I have seen some of the cars that have hubcaps with a D in them and others with what looks like a four spoke wheel (no hubcaps). What was standard (or at least a factory upgrade) on a '70 240Z? Did it change for '71 or '72?

If I buy a '70 - '71 car that does not have the original wheels, can these be purchased? If so, what do they usually cost?

Thanks,

James

Hi James:

I'd put it this way... All regular production 240-Z's shipped to North America were equipped with steel wheels and hubcaps. The 70/71 Model Year Z's had 4.5" x 14" steel wheels with the "D" hubcaps and the 72/73 Model Year Z's had 5"x14" steel wheels with the "Z" hubcaps.

See: The Z Car Home Page: <a href=http://zhome.com/Classic/Restore/HubCaps.htm TARGET=NEW>http://zhome.com/Classic/Restore/HubCaps.htm</a>

So to answer your question - they (wheels and hubcaps) changed at the 72 Model Year.

However as an interesting side note: - a 5.5"x14" Steel Road Wheel was FMVSS Approved prior to 2 June 1970 for sale by Nissan Motors USA, in the U.S. Part Number 40300-E4600. (priced at $16.20 each). So far, we haven't found anyone that did order them, and receive them. (but I'll bet there is at least one person out there somewhere that did..).

There was also a 5.5"x14" aluminum Road Wheel listed in the early Parts Catalogs, but not FMVSS approved and if put on order - they would always be back-ordered...I tried every year for several years to order a set though our Parts Dept., ... but no luck.

Cost?... depends on the level of perfection you are willing to pay for. In general - a NOS set of "D" hubcaps are now in the $1200.00 to $1400.00 price range. Excellent used... about $175.00 to $200.00 each. Well used - but restorable (not rusted to death and beat up) are usually at least $100.00 each.

The "Z" hubcaps for the 72/73 Z's run about $150.00 each for a set of 4 ($600.00).. used but excellent condition they are around $95.00 to $115.00 each. Of course "restorable" examples are always far less...

Steel wheels - depends on the condition and date stamps. Used 1969 production steel wheels can be $100.00 to $150.00 each (and sometimes you can buy them for ten bucks). The 5" wheels are in the $50.00 to $75.00 range if they are in excellent condition.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

However as an interesting side note: - a 5.5"x14" Steel Road Wheel was FMVSS Approved prior to 2 June 1970 for sale by Nissan Motors USA, in the U.S. Part Number 40300-E4600. (priced at $16.20 each). So far, we haven't found anyone that did order them, and receive them. (but I'll bet there is at least one person out there somewhere that did..).
See the attached scan from the Road & Track comparison test of the 240Z, MGB GT, Opel GT and Triumph GT6. (About May, 1970, I think. Corrected issue to July '71.)

post-8596-1415079721249_thumb.png