IGNORED

Header pics question!

olie05

any updates Alan? I'd love to hear what you wrote in your notes.

Sorry Oliver, I haven't found them yet. We are getting ready to move home soon, and that particular note may be part of the stuff that I've already packed away ready for the move.......

It will turn up eventually though.

In the meantime, how about a Kameari Engine Works 'DRAG 6-1' 48mm unit at 294,000 Yen?:

post-2116-14150797256982_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, how about a Kameari Engine Works 'DRAG 6-1' 48mm unit at 294,000 Yen?:

Alan,

6 into 1? I've never seen such a thing until now. Price seems about right, though.

Don't forget the "waiting period" of 45-60 days while they fab the unit from scratch because it's not a stock item.

- - - - at Autobacks - - - -

Japanese salesman: (sucking air through teeth) "Oh, your car too old. Must order first, then they make. It take 45 days minimum."

Been there, done that. LOL

Don't forget the "waiting period" of 45-60 days while they fab the unit from scratch because it's not a stock item.

Hi Miles,

Well, I would not recommend ordering any Kameari parts through Autobacs..........

Kameari usually has three or four of each design of their exhaust manifolds in stock at their shop in Yashio-shi. Every time I go there they are well stocked, and I've never had to wait very long for anything I've ordered from them.

Alan T.

Sorry Oliver, I haven't found them yet. We are getting ready to move home soon, and that particular note may be part of the stuff that I've already packed away ready for the move.......

It will turn up eventually though.

Wow that's enough money to put a big hole in my wallet. It sure is pretty but I don't think it's worth that much to me.

I think I'd go with the Fujitsubo? header like Nzeder has. :cheeky:

Kameari usually has three or four of each design of their exhaust manifolds in stock at their shop in Yashio-shi. Every time I go there they are well stocked, and I've never had to wait very long for anything I've ordered from them.

Alan,

Thanks for the tip.

miles

Alan,

The drag header you posted is very interesting.

"In the meantime, how about a Kameari Engine Works 'DRAG 6-1' 48mm unit at 294,000 Yen?:"

Question?: I assume the 48mm is the primary diameter, and assuming the exhaust pulses overlap (volume of six primaries full 50% of the time) then the tail pipe would have to be 83 mm (3.27 in) diameter. If no overlap than 117mm (4.63 in) diameter!!!!! No wonder they are listed as "DRAG" headers, tough to fit that size of pipe under a road racer!

Any additional spec's regarding final tail pipe diameter listed in your info on those beautiful beasts?

Any additional spec's regarding final tail pipe diameter listed in your info on those beautiful beasts?

I'm afraid I don't have the kind of detailed data that you are asking for, but I'm sure that Kameari have got all kinds of graphs, readouts and technical specifications for them. They are very thorough, and they are very serious about what they sell.

Obviously this manifold is Stainless steel, and Kameari say that it is a "true" equal-length design. Pipe length is quoted at 800mm ( they don't give the size of the final pipe joint diameter ) and of course I think it goes without saying that LHD fitment will probably be a no-no due to its sheer bulk.

Only other thing mentioned in the sales blurb is that this header is definitely drag-oriented ( mid range to high rpm bias ) and probably not very suited to street cars, to say the least.

Kameari have some other ( more sensible ) designs in both Stainless and mild steel - in sizes of 45 & 48mm. See attached pic:

post-2116-14150797260665_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Must say I'm very impressed with that 6 into 1 header. It's the first true 6 into 1 I've seen. Most others are really 6 into 2 into 1.

What a collection of photos and info you have collected. When is the Z reference library being published? :)

• 10 months later...
Ron's headers are very unique. I would guess that $500 would probably get you 2 of the 6 tubes (am I about right Ron?).

I have two versions of the Jere Stahl header. In my gallery is a low end torque version for a streetable Z. It was custom made for me back in 1977 for about $550. It has smaller diameter primaries than available aftermarket versions today.

The second Stahl header I have is ported to a full race John Caldwell head. It has massive primaries with two versions of slip on collectors. One set of collectors are dual 2.25" (for short tracks. Willow Springs, Lime Rock, etc) and the others are dual 3" for long tracks (Road America, Brainard, Daytona, etc).

The workmanship on both is outstanding and almost as cool as Ron's.

Olie, if you want something unique than by all means go for it!

David, Sorry to bring up an old thread but what size are the primaries in the Stahl header for the streetable Z? I have been discussing with Jere his recommendations for a stock 240Z motor. He likes a 1 3/8" primary 3-2 header. I was curious if this is what you have & how you like it. Thanks!

Jmark,

The streetable headers I have on my 2.4 liter do have 1 and 3/8" primaries. I use an E-31 head and the #4 & #5 exhaust ports need 1 and 1/2" tubes to begin with at the head. Jere Stahl does a neat job of sleeving the smaller tube into the larger one and brazing a smooth transition between the pipes.

The best thing about going with his haeder is that you can run a real twin pipe exhaut to the back of the car. It sounds GREAT!

I run a fuel cell so I have a muffler in each back corner. If you have a stock gas tank then think about running two SuperTrapp stainless "megaphone" style mufflers "over and under" at the stock location.

Either way you will need some custum bent pipes. Midas can "crush bend and fit them, or you can find someone who can mandral bend them.

I will eventualy replace my steel crush bent pipes and generic reverse flow mufflers with stainless mandral bent pipes and SuperTrapps.

Go for it, it's not cheap but it is the best way to go.