IGNORED

Early 5-Speed

rdstronr

Stock Ratio: Part Number= 99996-J3020

1st-2.975, 2nd-2.858, 3rd-1.311, 4th-1.00, 5th-0.852

Carl,

You might want to check that 1st gear ratio again. I think you'll find it was always 2.957 ( not 2.975 ).

Another typo?

1 out of 2

Three out of three I think ;-)

Carl,

You might want to check that 1st gear ratio again. I think you'll find it was always 2.957 ( not 2.975 ).

Another typo?

Hi Alan (everyone):

It must be - in this case it is mine as well.

This is interesting... I went back to some of the earler Competition Parts listings for our Datsun 2000 Roadster (1969 I think). As that is supposed to be the transmisson sold here, that could be converted for use in the Z.

It lists 1st gear as..... 2.937 !!

All I have here for the 2000 Roadster - is part numbers for "Gear Sets".. but no data for the individual tooth count of the gears/shafts...

What does your Parts Catalog list as the tooth count on both the Gear and the Main Shaft? (maybe we should do the calculations ourself;-)

Three out of three I think ;-)

Could be... when it comes to the recording, reporting, conversion or translation of data or information by Nissan Motors Ltd. (no matter what country they are operating in) - - I think we've all learned to trust but verify. No one is perfect, and the publications by Nissan in the late 60's and early 70's are certainly proof of that.

As for my transcriptions - I'll simply have to quit doing them this late at night.

FWIW

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

All I have here for the 2000 Roadster - is part numbers for "Gear Sets".. but no data for the individual tooth count of the gears/shafts...

What does your Parts Catalog list as the tooth count on both the Gear and the Main Shaft? (maybe we should do the calculations ourself;-)

Carl,

Comparing notes with transmissions used on the Roadsters is interesting but possibly misleading. Another one of those American vernacular habits I often point out ( like calling the L24 "a 510 engine with two extra cylinders added" ) is to call the FS5C71-A - as seen on S30-series Z cars from 1969 - except the HLS30U - a "Roadster" transmission. In fact it wasn't really, was it?

Go down that road and you'd have to call the F4W71-A transmission used on the HLS30U a 'Laurel' or 'Skyline' transmission.....

Easiest thing for me to do regarding tooth counts etc is show you more pages from the Nissan Sport Service transmission manual, which has some nice tables and schematics in it. See two scans below for the tooth counts and 'Option' gear part numbers:

And the part number for the standard ( 2.957 ) 1st gear in S30-series Z FS5C71-A use was:

*32242-25511 arse'Y-GEAR, 1st speed main shaft ( 34t ).

Alan T.

post-2116-14150797017157_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797017694_thumb.jpg

jeez you guys are nuking futz! lots of great information, I have definitely learned a lot!

I bought a 72 240Z and it has a 5 speed in it. the guy i bought it from didnt know how to change the spark plugs so i didnt get much info from him. any way to find out which tranny i have? also any refrence to rebuilding the transmission (gears are VERY sloppy). thanks!!

jeez you guys are nuking futz! lots of great information, I have definitely learned a lot!

I bought a 72 240Z and it has a 5 speed in it. the guy i bought it from didnt know how to change the spark plugs so i didnt get much info from him. any way to find out which tranny i have? also any refrence to rebuilding the transmission (gears are VERY sloppy). thanks!!

Hello rztmartini:

Well we could start by looking at the tranny to determine if it's a Type A - with the three piece case, or the Type B with the two piece case.

Gears usually don't get sloppy - but the gear shift linkage can cause a very sloppy feeling. The Type A gear boxes are commonly referred to as the "monkey motion" type.. because the shift lever was mounted in rubber bushings and the shift linkage was a bit vague to begin with. If you have that type of gearbox - there are some "fixes". One of the most common is to replace the rubber bushings with metal one's.

If you have the Type B gear box - a sloppy feeling can be caused by the nylon bushings between the shift lever and the control arm on the transmission wearing out of falling out. There are three bushings involved. One on each side of the shift lever where it is pinned to the transmission, and one on the bottom of the shift lever below the pin. It's really an easy and inexpensive fix.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread - if you have the A Type you'll need to pull it out and take it apart to count teeth on the gears. If you have the B Type - you'll still have to pull it out, but you can usually tell which one you have by checking certain gears. This can be done by turning the input shaft and and seeing how many turns it takes to make one complete revolution of the output shaft.

There is no way to tell from looking at the outside of the case which transmission you have.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

wow thank you for that information. i really appreciate your help. now about the replacement bushings/parts...can they be ordered through nissan or would it be best/only way to go with aftermarket?

and thanks again, its these such helpful and knowlegable (sp? LOL) posts that make this forum so helpful.

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys,

I've condensed this thread into a Google spreadsheet for your reference.

Check it out here.

I'd like this to become a public database. Any comments are welcome in regards to formatting, or accuracy of data.

If you'd like to help me add data (Alan and Carl?) send me a PM with your email address and I can grant you Editor access.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

There is some missing information there. I don't know about the need for another public database on Nissan transmissions since there seems to be so much disagreement on the info as far as trans ratios etc. I just look them up in my manuals/catalogs etc.

Edited by sblake01

There is some missing information there. I don't know about the need for another public database on Nissan transmissions since there seems to be so much disagreement on the info as far as trans ratios etc. I just look them up in my manuals/catalogs etc.

There's missing information because it's a work in progress. I don't have manuals or catalogs in which to look things up.

It's threads like this that melt the brain with numbers, typos, corrections, etc. But it seems to have come to a consensus, no disagreements other than getting some clarity on regionalized vernacular.

A communal spreadsheet just helps memorialize and centralize the data.

When it comes to disagreements, I say, who ever shows the most factory documentation to support their point wins.