IGNORED

Power Windows in a 70' 240Z ? !

Zs-ondabrain

Funny enough, as I'm getting ready to write this up for you guys, I see some one has one on doing power windows in a (240K).

I'm going to do a full spread (with pictures and step by step stuff) on power windows in a 240Z.

"Why" you ask?

1) Cause when I'm buckled up (seatbelt) into my 70' 240Z, There is NOOO reaching the passenger side window without almost causing an accident.

2) When it's hot outside and you don't have the luxury of A.C, It'll be nice to hit the switch and roll down the window.

3) It'll get me browny points with the Wife, cause she too has trouble getting to the handle when she is buckled in. (if she's happy, I'm happy)

4) I CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THE ONLY ONE HERE (classiczcars.com) WHO WANTS POWER WINDOWS IN A 240Z.

So over the next few days, I will post progress and Pictures of the install.

It's pretty bad when it takes me longer to post and develope pics and tell all the "how-to's" then it does to put in the whole kit and wiring.

AS soon as U.P.S. shows up with my wire harness supplies and power window kit, I'll start the project.

More details to follow and also..... What do you guys think about power windows in (a) or (your) early model Z???

Dave.

nope. I get all my 12volt aftermarket stuff from a company called "the Right Connection" (TRC).

I use a lot of "SPAL" electronics. My power door locks ($4.00 each), power windows, and 11 lb. hatch pop($9.00 each) are all SPAL or similar. I only pay $109 for the P.W. kit and $23 for the whole wire harness and 2 illuminated switchs kit. it even come with switch pods. you'll see later.

$132.00 ain't bad for power windows in a 70' Z. If I can get it down to a science, I'll offer it to friends and other local Z owners. I love putting impossible stuff into impossible cars.

I have a full alarm w/ keyless entry, starter kill, hatch pop, hood, hatch, and door pins, light flash, shock and proximity censors, and 2 sirens under the hood (tucked under the area in front of the Battery and washer fluid bottle.

But the nice thing is that you can't see hardly any of it or the wires. I take great pride in my wiring so you don't see it or it looks stock when I'm done.

I get all my stuff at whole sale or cost, I'm cheap that way. Besides, it saves you guys money as well.

Dave.

You're a brave man. The first thing that comes to mind when I start working on the car is "I have just disabled the Z and have to fix it correctly now since our driveway is like a double black diamond ski run". I don't venture outside of a very small envelope.

Dave, I installed power windows in my 73. I used the motors out of a 81ZX. The rest was home fabrication. Sorry I don't have any pictures with me right now. Basically, I mounted the motor in the lower front corner. I also used the original regulator.

1. I cut the serrated gear off the regulator so that it would move freely.

2. I welded a bracket onto the regulator where the serrated gear was.

3. Attached a bar from the motor to the bracket.

Sounds a lot easier than it was. I had the benefit of using an old door which I cut the skin of so I could work on proper geometry.

I left the window crank in place. Although none functional it retains the stock look.

I mounted the switches on the center console between the ashtray and the shifter.

And I will agree with you. It is NICE!!!

The kit that I am getting, eliminates the window crank. No cutting, welding or ripping into the door. I can remove the kit and put everything back to stock when I'm done, with the exception of the door panel. Which only has to have the hole for the window crank, hogged out a little for a snap-on cap.

The P.W. kit uses small gears that attach to the window crank rod, which requires the removal of the handle. I have installed this kit in a 240Z before but did not document it. Here is a picture of the kit.....and the switches.....

post-4921-14150796711278_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150796711482_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I did this in my 240Z ten years ago. If your windows are stiff or tight rolling up or down these kits will not work well and will not last. Be sure that your windows are adjusted so that they roll up and down with minimum effort prior to attempting to install such a kit.

My windows are great! I pull the door panels every once in a while and keep every thing greased up.

The kit I'm using is the "Deluxe" kit. It it's quieter and stronger than the usual kit. Thats why it's $20.00 more. I'm a true believer in "you get what ya pay for" so I opted for the the deluxe kit.

:paranoid: Still waiting on U.P.S. :rolleyes:

Dave.

What do you do with the window winder?

Just wondering?

What do you mean by "window winder"? If your talking about the window handle or crank, You nicely put it in a box after cleaning and set it aside for who ever wants to pay the most......ROFL

If you're talking about the black "T" shapes handle in the first picture, That goes in the glovebox for emergencies. The kit has many depth options on the gear drive adaptors long one for long shafts or mid or short (I used the shortest one)

Here are the first pictures..

post-4921-1415079671165_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150796711974_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150796712293_thumb.jpg