IGNORED

Straw poll: 240Z to ZX alternator adapter

Arne

...snip....At least so long as you leave the stock fusable links in place. These are what actually protects the wiring of the car anyway, as the battery is fully capable of producing hundreds of amps for a short time.

Walter:

Please correct me if I have it barse-ackwards, but the fusible links are there to protect the circuitry from prolonged current at high amperages, and that the alternator has the capacity to generate UP - TO the given amperage rating it is rated for.

That's why you buy a high amp alternator when you will be running lots of electrical items, ALL AT THE SAME TIME and you put them on a separate circuit with it's own fusible link / fuse system.

But for those times when you are NOT running lots of current eating items, the standard alternator is more than sufficient to handle even a couple of the high amp items .....together. Just not ALL of them at the same time.

It is the proliferation of current sucking items that cause the electrical system to fail once you exceed it's current carrying capacity.

And by the way, I laughed at your very subtle explanation for the explosive spark that a battery can cause when it shorts to ground....LOL

Thanks for the clarification.

Enrique

Don't feel bad Arne, Now you know what I went through finding parts for the headlight harness.

Don't give up yet. keep your chin up, it helps you breathe when you're wollowing thru all the crap.

Dave.

Yup, I sure do. I haven't quite given up yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, folks, but it's not going to happen. Between the cost and difficulty in getting the OE connectors, and the amount of time I'd have to spend building them, it's just not worth it. I really thought it would be easier than it has proven to be. If I could get the connectors locally in small batches, maybe. But the way it is now, no.

Dave, my hat's off to you for continuing to do these types of harness parts. I now have a vague idea of the time and effort you put into this stuff. I have found that it's easy to conceive of a part, design it and even build one, but to go into even limited production...

Hey Arne,

If anybody feels for ya, It's me. Mean while, check this out.........

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159565#post159565

And one other question for you. Are any of the two plugs that you see on the picture I posted, the plugs you are looking for???

If so, I might have a real good lead on 'em.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update to all who are interested..

The ZXP's (280ZX alternator adaptor plug) are still $15 each and work on all 240Z's

I have 3 HLH's (headlight upgrade harness's) for the 240Z, in stock and ready to be shipped.

The HLH's are still $125 and are universal for ALL 240Z's

The PLH's (parking light upgrade harness) Are now $40. My supplier doubled the price of my supplies. They work on all 240Z's UP TO 3/73'

I Still do the LED Tail Light Conversion for ALL 240Z's. The conversion is still $250. You send me your 240Z taillights and I convert them to LED. They are brighter, use less than 1/4 of the amperage and bring your Z into the 21st Century.

I also do the Combo/Turn signal Switch service. For $40, you send me your Combo and T/S switches and I rebuild them as a set. I clean up each switch, clean the contacts, fix any wiring issues, regrease them and send them back. ($75 for 2 sets)

I STILL don't take PayPal but I do take Money Orders, Casheirs Checks and Cash. Email me for shipping and Payment info at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave.