IGNORED

Straw poll: 240Z to ZX alternator adapter

Arne

Edit: It's on! See the end of this thread!

OK, I think I have just about got it nailed. How many of you would be interested in a plug and play wiring adapter for the 280ZX alternator upgrade on a 240Z? This would be a totally self-contained unit that would simply plug into the factory wiring harness in place of the stock voltage regulator. It would come completely wired (with the proper diode), weatherproofed and tested. No modifications to your car's wiring would be needed, so if you ever wanted to revert to stock you'd just unplug the adapter and reinstall the stock regulator.

Pictures of the prototype are below. The production version may have a white plastic connector rather than the black of the prototype, and the wiring bundle would be smaller and neater (in theory, anyway).

At this point, it looks like the cost would be between $25-30 each, including shipping within the US. I'd need at least 5 or 6 interested parties to put this together.

post-8596-14150796486846_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415079648715_thumb.jpg

Please don't take this a personal afront, but for me, $25 sounds like an extremely HIGH price for this item. Considering that virtually anyone could make one out of the connector on the VR that is being removed (or a crap $3 one from a JY) . Cut off the connector, jump a couple of wires, source a $1 - 6 amp diode to install on it (available at almost any electronics store) and BAM done.

However, I've seen items of FAR LESS usefullness sell on eBay, so I do wish you good luck, and I applaud your efforts

I understand, Garth, no offense taken. My original idea was to offer this part for people who might not be comfortable doing their own wiring. Additionally, I wanted to offer this part to people who may not want to trash their existing voltage regulator, and who may not have local yards with old Datsuns in them to pull old VR's from (like my area). Lastly, I've heard that in some less-urban areas, the proper diode can be hard to find locally. So these adapters would address all those issues.

That said, I had been shooting for a target price of around $15 plus a couple or three bucks for shipping. Unfortunately, several weeks of searching has shown that suppliers for the OE connectors and terminals are hard to find, and once found the prices for small batch orders are significantly higher than I had hoped.

So that is why I opened this thread - at the price I'd have to sell them at, I'm not sure there is a market. I'm still working to get the price down, but don't know if I can shave much off.

Very interested at $15 plus shipping, might still be interested at $25, but might have to think about it. However, I still kick myself for not ordering the headlight relay when I had the chance. Oh well, live and learn.

Hey Arnie--

On a related note---did you ever get with Zsondabrain about the relay deal?

Have you firmed up plans to start making them?

LMK if ya could or would, as I would definitely like to do this upgrade and don't want to use the VB unit.

Thanks! :classic:

Zup

OK, I think I have just about got it nailed. How many of you would be interested in a plug and play wiring adapter for the 280ZX alternator upgrade on a 240Z? This would be a totally self-contained unit that would simply plug into the factory wiring harness in place of the stock voltage regulator. It would come completely wired (with the proper diode), weatherproofed and tested. No modifications to your car's wiring would be needed, so if you ever wanted to revert to stock you'd just unplug the adapter and reinstall the stock regulator.

Pictures of the prototype are below. The production version may have a white plastic connector rather than the black of the prototype, and the wiring bundle would be smaller and neater (in theory, anyway).

At this point, it looks like the cost would be between $25-30 each, including shipping within the US. I'd need at least 5 or 6 interested parties to put this together.

Arne...I am good for one now. More to come if all works well. I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who owns Awesome Z and does 4 or 5 of those types of conversions over the course of the year.

FYI...He also stated that the price is very reasonable and that it is worth it to him.