IGNORED

Z - 35 Years of Nissan's Sports Car

bpilati

Chris,

If this keeps up the early S30's will probably end up being talked about in terms of their chassis numbers much like the Ferrari crowd speaks of their cars :classic:

I just want to see good pictures from those lads when they return from their trip to Japan. Although a post card would have been nice also.

I see our fellow forum member Carl Beck's name mentioned many times in this book, and he also gets a name-check and a thank-you in the 'Acknowledgements' section at the back.

I would really like to see Carl's comments on the points that have been raised in this thread.

Over to you Carl?

Perhaps one solution to all of this misinformation is a collaborative effort by people who actually have the facts. It's difficult and expensive to get something properly published and the inevitable typos and other mistakes become rather permanent. I believe that technology can help solve this problem and a popular mechanism for dealing with this is a Wiki. For those of you've who've never heard of a Wiki here's a brief explanation.

Perhaps the most popular Wiki currently in existence is the Wikipedia, the "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit."

As an example, here's the Wikipedia entry for "240Z". There's are probably mistakes in this article. For instance, the discussion of hatch vents is wrong. They were changed in 1971, not 1972. If you're sure you've found a mistake just go ahead and fix it. Want to add something? Feel free.

While using the Wikipedia itself for this effort might not be the best location, I think the idea is sound. Anyone can host a Wiki, perhaps even ClassicZCars.com. As more information is unearthed the Wiki could be updated accordingly. In the long run you end up with a living information store that represents the best information from the most knowledgeable people. For all of you who will never go to the trouble of writing and publishing a proper book, here's your chance. Who knows, some of the original designers might even be willing to make small contributions or corrections.

I see our fellow forum member Carl Beck's name mentioned many times in this book, and he also gets a name-check and a thank-you in the 'Acknowledgements' section at the back.

I would really like to see Carl's comments on the points that have been raised in this thread.

Over to you Carl?

What points made in this thread? And furthermore, what misinformation?

What points made in this thread? And furthermore, what misinformation?

bpilati,

Some of the misinformation in the book was pointed out by me in posts nos.65 & 71 on this thread. Others have pointed at mistakes and anomalies too.

I could add plenty more, but I might get keel-hauled by the House Of Un-American Activities :tapemouth .

I suggest you go back and read the whole thread from the beginning if you want to know where we are at.........

Alan T.

Greetings!

I'm surprised we haven't seen Carl yet. I know he wants to talk about the book. I saw Carl at a car show last weekend, but we didn't get a chance to bring it up.

Pete Evanow was with Nissan for four years during the financial crisis period around 1997. He managed the Z-Store program which is my primary interest in this book. He says he wrote an "insider's report" and I think his perspective should be considered. I think the material we read should be given this context. I also believe that the mistakes we have pointed out concerning the Japanese cars are characteristic of attention given to the subject in America all the way up to the insider's level. As sarcastic as that may sound, I mean no offense. That is just the way it is in America, I find. Very few people know anything about the Japanese cars. Having said all this, I can cut the poor guy some slack and go back to what I originally said about the book. For most people, this is a good, all-around, get to know the Z story, beginning text. The pictures are nice and plentiful, so you will have a pretty good idea of what you are looking at when you see the real cars, posters and memorabilia.

In terms of a strict historical document, it is not. Subjects like the Datsun / Nissan name change are editorialized. Topics I would think important are not covered very well from my perspective and leave me with more questions. But that's Ok! I was interested in what he put together and he has some great pictures!

Several comments have been made about writing an accurate account of the historical facts. I want to comment by saying that any historical account is always going to be through the eyes of the writer. In our case with Mr. Evanow, we see a story from a car guy limited to four years of exposure during an unattractive period in the company history. The effects on him and his fellow employees must have taken some toll. I wonder how it is reflected in his book?