IGNORED

What did you cover when undercoating?

hls30.com

I am soon to be at the stage where I turn the Z upside down and coat the underside of the floor with Bedliner, rubberized undercoating, or something similar. What areas did those of you who have been here before leave uncoated-what areas need to be left clear mounting-if any?

My wondering is due to this synergy: when conventionally undercoarting, the mounting surface are protected from buildup by what ever is mounted to them/undercoating with no suspension (or protection of the mounting areas thereof) will add 1/16"-1/4" to the suspension tollerances. It may be no issue, but I would rather ask and look stupid, than apply it and have to spend a day removing permanent material.

Will

Will:

Aside from the expense of POR, why not coat the metal with it and then AFTERWARDS use plain old Body-Shutz?

You know that the POR would do an excellent job of protecting the metal. That it would be underneath and any part of it that's exposed would haze over isn't a problem, it is after all, the undercarriage. But once you coat it with the Body-Shutz you'll deaden the panel to reduce road noise as well as protecting it from UV rays and rock chips.

Body-Shutz is easy to spray, will stick to just about anything and is easy enough to scrape off to get to the surface below. Granted it stinks to heck and back when fresh, and it can be messy to apply, but in the long run it's extremely inexpensive in comparison to it's benefit.

Bed-liner is hard and expensive, and as you pointed out builds up quickly. POR is as thick as YOU make it to be. At worst it would be 1/16" thick?

Points to ponder

Enrique

The spray on bedliner can get pretty thick, it will prevent you from ever replacing the drain plugs. You also have to worry about the fuel/brake line brackets, fuel pump bracket, E'brake, suspension, etc... I can guarantee that if you take it somewhere the person doing it won't give a crap if he sprays over that little screw hole that is used to support your brake line. They will tell you that if you don't want any hole sprayed shut you should put a piece of tape over it. Bla, bla, bla. All this discouraged me from taking it somewhere.

First I gave her belly the POR treatment. I topcoated the wheel arch areas and the trans tunnel. Then I took some tape and taped off the areas that I didn't want covered with bedliner. The list is long but if you've come this far then you know what needs to be protected and what needs to remain clear. Then I went over to Autozone and bought Herculiner it's a roll on bed liner. Same product as the spray on. But by rolling and using a brush I could apply it where it needed to be. No mess, no overspray, no plugged holes. I applied an extra thick coat (1/8") in the wheel wells and trans tunnel. Everywhere else got a single application. I went through 1 gallon and 1 qt.

1052undercoatingsun.JPG

Oh yea, buy some corks from your local hardware store to plug the drain holes. Wrap a piece of tape around it then plug the hole.

Enrique,

That is exactly where I am! Por15 on-and where to go from there! I asked the question to get some help with what to use next. Herculiner was the product I had in mind-for the exact same reasons Ed outlined. I had a spray in liner put in the truck the day after I bought it. I will research a little more before I coat the underside.

I have also bought a sound/thermal insulation paint/sealer for the inside of the floors, and made an application if metal ready to be certian that every area been addressed.

Will

• 1 month later...