IGNORED

Best SU rebuild kits?

Arne

On 8/13/2011 at 7:09 PM, 240260280z said:

Just to update this thread (6 years later on):

It is interesting that prices have not changed much! :)

I just picked up two SU kits from Black Dragon (Victoria British) and the quality was poor thus the spur to revise this post.

Black Dragon

Manufacturer: Wells

Part Number: CK749

It only includes:

- Fuel bowl needle valve assembly and gasket (much shorter assembly than the two I have in the carbs and not easy to disassemble like the originals).

- Fuel bowl top gasket (very thin paper material)

- Carb to manifold gasket (very thin paper material)

- Rubber gasket for plunger (very thin rubber)

- Clear plastic spacer for spring base (very thin clear plastic)

- Fuel bowl drain gasket

- 2 paper washers different colours and materials (for fuel banjo I assume?) I was hoping they would be aluminum like the existing ones.

- 3 mystery paper washers (not sure where they go? ID of hole is 10mm and OD of washer is 14mm) Any ideas? Cooling passages?

- fuel hose (best part of kit)

The gasket paper changed between the two kits I received.

The documentation was generic and did not show where gaskets go however it was informative:

Page1:

Page2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47559&d=1313283253

post-7641-14150815956857_thumb.jpg

This is my 2nd kit. At least the gasket material is the same in this one.

Comments:

This kit needs front gasket for carb and metal banjo gaskets then it would not be so bad. A fuel filter sock, taller needle valves, and better quality paper would also be improvements.

Z Therapy

ZT150 $180.00

Complete Tune Up Kit for 2 carbs

(Needle & seats, SM, N27, N54, or N58 needles, ZT Nozzles, float gaskets, gas lines, banjo seals,4 insulator gaskets, JustSU's DVD) This cost includes a $50
CORE CHARGE
on your old nozzles. Send back your old nozzles for $50 refund.

Comments:

The ZT kit is more of a serious overhaul kit than a refresh kit. It has too much core stuff that I do not need to change (DVD, Nozzles, Needles) . As well the core hassle for nozzle exchange is not my cup of tea. I think ZT would benefit from adding a basic refresh kit to their product line. (quality gaskets & hose & needle valves)

Motorsport Auto

I looked at the MSA kit and it looks a lot like the kit I received from BD only it is ~ 50% more expensive. Even the way the wire holds the needle assembly is the same.

post-7641-1415081595248_thumb.jpg

Ebay

This all Nissan kit from Japan is good value for $30. Does two carbs.

post-7641-14150815953016_thumb.jpg

Best Value seems to be this 72 240z Keyster Kit for $30. It does two carbs and has needles too!

Needle valves look aftermarket.

post-7641-14150815953147_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815952812_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815953378_thumb.gif

Bought the keyster kit and the needles dont seem to fit? They have hwj 4 on them? Redt of the kit looks good 

3 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Are the needles to small, as in .090" instead of .100"? I don't recall any hwj 4 needles conversations in the past.

Ive done my fair share of needle research and they are too large. I have 3 screw carbs. They dont fit into the piston. Maybe my pistons arent .100? 

Just to set the record the keyster kit has nice gaskets but the needles and the needle valves both did not work in my carbs. The threads for the needle valves are much too large and the the needles shoulder doesnt fit in the damper pot