IGNORED

Best SU rebuild kits?

Arne

Any one have any feedback on the following rebuild kits for round-tops?

• Victoria has aftermarket (I presume) kits for $20 per carb.
  • MSA has kits that are (supposedly) OE Nissan for $28 per carb.
  • ZTherapy's "tune-up" kit is $120 exchange for the pair.
  • Other options?

I'm leaning towards the MSA kits, as the ZT package seems to be more than I need (includes their video and SM needles, both of which I can live without at this time).

You can buy the parts you need from Nissan, with the exception of the float valves and the nozzles, which I believe are NLA (I may be out of date on that). If you don't need to replace those pieces, it is cheapest to go that way. If you do need to replace those parts, Z-Therapy is the only place to get the float valves and nozzles because they rebuild them. In which case it is cheapest to buy their full rebuild kit. The videos are very informative, BTW.

I just went out to the garage and removed one of my nozzles and looked it over. Found a nice ridge worn in the side about 10-15 mm down from the top. Since new nozzles are in order, ZT is the only choice. Thanks for all the input, folks. I really appreciate it.

I am looking at rebuilding the SU's on my 71 as well. If remember correctly when I was in college there was a performance kit that allowed you to hone the chamber walls and install a piston bushing? Does anyone make something like that still?

I ask becasue the inside of one of my chamber walls seems to have a casting flaw like a bubble that left a divit on the alluminum. The carbs seem to work real well for thier condition but when I rebuild them I want them better than new : ) Or can you just buy new pistons and round tops to make them like new again?

• 5 years later...

Just to update this thread (6 years later on):

It is interesting that prices have not changed much! :)

I just picked up two SU kits from Black Dragon (Victoria British) and the quality was poor thus the spur to revise this post.

Black Dragon

Manufacturer: Wells

Part Number: CK749

It only includes:

- Fuel bowl needle valve assembly and gasket (much shorter assembly than the two I have in the carbs and not easy to disassemble like the originals).

- Fuel bowl top gasket (very thin paper material)

- Carb to manifold gasket (very thin paper material)

- Rubber gasket for plunger (very thin rubber)

- Clear plastic spacer for spring base (very thin clear plastic)

- Fuel bowl drain gasket

- 2 paper washers different colours and materials (for fuel banjo I assume?) I was hoping they would be aluminum like the existing ones.

- 3 mystery paper washers (not sure where they go? ID of hole is 10mm and OD of washer is 14mm) Any ideas? Cooling passages?

- fuel hose (best part of kit)

The gasket paper changed between the two kits I received.

The documentation was generic and did not show where gaskets go however it was informative:

Page1:
su carb.PDF

Page2:
sucarb2.PDF

attachment.php?attachmentid=47559&d=1313283253

post-7641-14150815956857_thumb.jpg

This is my 2nd kit. At least the gasket material is the same in this one.

Comments:

This kit needs front gasket for carb and metal banjo gaskets then it would not be so bad. A fuel filter sock, taller needle valves, and better quality paper would also be improvements.

Z Therapy

ZT150 $180.00

Complete Tune Up Kit for 2 carbs

(Needle & seats, SM, N27, N54, or N58 needles, ZT Nozzles, float gaskets, gas lines, banjo seals,4 insulator gaskets, JustSU's DVD) This cost includes a $50
CORE CHARGE
on your old nozzles. Send back your old nozzles for $50 refund.

Comments:

The ZT kit is more of a serious overhaul kit than a refresh kit. It has too much core stuff that I do not need to change (DVD, Nozzles, Needles) . As well the core hassle for nozzle exchange is not my cup of tea. I think ZT would benefit from adding a basic refresh kit to their product line. (quality gaskets & hose & needle valves)

Motorsport Auto

I looked at the MSA kit and it looks a lot like the kit I received from BD only it is ~ 50% more expensive. Even the way the wire holds the needle assembly is the same.

post-7641-1415081595248_thumb.jpg

Ebay

This all Nissan kit from Japan is good value for $30. Does two carbs.

post-7641-14150815953016_thumb.jpg

Best Value seems to be this 72 240z Keyster Kit for $30. It does two carbs and has needles too!

Needle valves look aftermarket.

post-7641-14150815953147_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815952812_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815953378_thumb.gif

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...