IGNORED

Cold Air Intake--NOT a "fifteen minute install"

KDMatt

I hear what you're saying, it may be a small compromise. It's possible too that the less piping there is, the less resistance there is. But the direct contact with moving air might be important. Pretty tricky, any other ideas are appreciated, might as well figure it out and make it the best it can be on paper while I'm waiting for the tubing to come in...

On a Z, putting the filter (inlet) in front of the radiator, or in that area of higher pressure makes sense to me. It might even help to put a metal fence (like a box) around the filter to trap more air and conentrate it into the filter, like ram-air. Just not to big a box, to block the air that's going to the radiator.

Ok, new developments. I bought and cut a piece of 2.5" tubing, and it turns out it's too small. Even smaller than the stock airbox outlet tube. The accurate tubing width is 2 3/4" dia. I figure going too big is better than going too small. I'm going to re-order a section of 3" tubing, which may be too big, but I'll be able to shrik the ends for the filter and the outlet boot (I think, right?) Then just for all you folks, I'll post the start to finish how-to section with all the measurements and stuff once it's done.

I'm just dissapointed I bought a section of tubing for nothing. drat, $25 down the drain for rushing this project, blah...more to come!

The tube needs to be 60mm or roughly 2.75" o.d. I'm still looking for one, maybe in aluminum, that I could make work. With all the different setups out there for the rice cars, the must be one that can be adapted. I just don't like the idea of using exhaust pipe.

Steel( or stainless) exhaust tubing can be heavy too. I try not to add weight on the front of the car. I agree that there must be a source for 60mm steel ( or aluminum?) tubing. I think you need to start thinking metric instead of SAE. If it's 60mm, then get 60mm tubing, unless there is an EXACT equivalent in ASAE.

Good Idea! The MSA unit IS made of exhaust tubing, and it is kinda heavy, so I was even thinking about trying to find a right angle bend of PLASTIC tubing from a hardware store and then simply epoxy on a bracket.

2 3/4" exhaust tubing is pretty hard to come by too, so I think some sort of plastic piece might be the way to go....any ideas?

I've already done the hardware store thing (I work at ACE Hardware). If you use 2" abs with slip couplers on the ends and a 90 degree elbow for the bend, the outer diameter of the couplers is just about perfect. I think it's kind of mickey mouse however but it will give you the correct lengths which can be used as a template for something better. I didn't post this picture before because this is just temporary.

post-3797-14150795759751_thumb.jpg

I don't think a bracket that's expoxied to the ABS tubing would hold very long. And instead of using a round clamp, I would suggest cutting a thin slot on opposite sides of the tube, and passing a flat strip through to support the tube. Yeah, it's in the airstream, but it only creates a little drag. Yuo might even twist it a little to give the air some swirl effect.

I think the tubing included in many of the K&N "FIPK" kits have a plastic tube, but it's thin, not like the pvc thick-walled piping, but thinner, maybe only 1/16" thick. You said the interior diameter of the pvc tube was 2"? How does it flow compared to the stock airbox? Sorry, but 2" seems a little small to me, but I could be wrong.

If there was some way to simply get a thin 90 degree bend like the tubing used on all the little ricer intakes, we'd be in buisiness, hehe.

Anything else? I'll keep researching in the meantime...

I don't think a bracket that's expoxied to the ABS tubing would hold very long. And instead of using a round clamp, I would suggest cutting a thin slot on opposite sides of the tube, and passing a flat strip through to support the tube. Yeah, it's in the airstream, but it only creates a little drag. Yuo might even twist it a little to give the air some swirl effect.

Those brackets are not epoxied to the tubing. The tubing goes through the brackets with a rubber insert inside of each bracket and they hold the tube fairly solidly. It's just an experiment and I'm still working on something better. Swirl effect? Now I think your're overthinking it.