IGNORED

has anyone restored their license plate?

280z

Before or after you refurbish your plate, put a layer of clear coat on it. It will protect it from fading. The plate on the 240Z was starting to fade from the Florida sun so the body guy shot it with clear coat and it looks brand new. The 280Z plate was clear coated from day one and has not faded at all.

FWIW

Vicky

Historic plates here in MI are kinda odd. They don't look like the original plate, but are different from our normal plates. You can not drive the car daily anymore and in some cases can't drive after dark or in the rain. Your car must be 30 years old to qualify for historic plates. But, you only pay once for them, no yearly tabs to be bought.

ok i called a local office and they told me that the old plates are not re-issued. then i asked about the restoration... they didn't have an answer but assumed that it was illegal. told me to call some non-emergency police number or something.

Along this line , here in Oregon it is now illeagel to cover the license plate in any shape or form. No glass , plastic or anything. Since the remote radar ticketing is now in force , two plates is being inforced and neither of them can be covered . About old plates , you can transfer a set of plates from another car . Dmv will transfer the information . So if you locate a period year plate set that is in good shape this is a possability. DMV here in Or. will not duplecate the older colored plates . They have a special interest plate for street rods and special interest vehicles plus one for antiques . They are restrictive as to use and miles driven . They are a permanent plate and a single plate is all that is issued. Cheep though $80. one time cost. Gary

ok i called a local office and they told me that the old plates are not re-issued. then i asked about the restoration... they didn't have an answer but assumed that it was illegal. told me to call some non-emergency police number or something.

How typical. The people who establish the rules don't know the answer so they refer you to the people who enforce the rules. :stupid:

Gary,

I asked DMV two times on transferring old plates; because I have the new 'tree' plates on mine, and wanted the blue background / yellow lettering of the 1972 plates on my vehicle. This was 2 years ago. Unless they've changed since, they told me I could not do this (Oregon). Has it changed since then? They were pretty adamant about it. They said that the only transferrable plates were personalized plates (like if they cost you $50 extra per cycle, ie. they say "72 ZED" or something)...

Along this line , here in Oregon it is now illeagel to cover the license plate in any shape or form. No glass , plastic or anything. Since the remote radar ticketing is now in force , two plates is being inforced and neither of them can be covered . About old plates , you can transfer a set of plates from another car . Dmv will transfer the information . So if you locate a period year plate set that is in good shape this is a possability. DMV here in Or. will not duplecate the older colored plates . They have a special interest plate for street rods and special interest vehicles plus one for antiques . They are restrictive as to use and miles driven . They are a permanent plate and a single plate is all that is issued. Cheep though $80. one time cost. Gary

Hi Gary,

I just had Oregon blue plates registered to my '73 and was told, at the Gresham DMV office, that very soon this practice was going to be eliminated. I don't think that the Special Interest is going away, but what they call "custom plates" will go away. She said we only have a few months left. So if you are thinking about getting it done, you'd better act now.

As for restoration in Oregon, there is at least one business, based in Terrebone, that does this. In fact re-selling and restoring is all they do. The Blue plates still have NOS around.

For whatever its worth,

Bryan

Gary,

I asked DMV two times on transferring old plates; because I have the new 'tree' plates on mine, and wanted the blue background / yellow lettering of the 1972 plates on my vehicle. This was 2 years ago. Unless they've changed since, they told me I could not do this (Oregon). Has it changed since then? They were pretty adamant about it. They said that the only transferrable plates were personalized plates (like if they cost you $50 extra per cycle, ie. they say "72 ZED" or something)...

Dogma,

If you take the plates into the DMV office they will examine them, photo copy them, then submit the paperwork. It will take the Salem office about 6 weeks to approve them. It cost me about $175, but I also was transferring the title.

Send me an e-mail directy if you need a source for blue plates.

Bryan

I say, screw the old time correct blue and yellow plates....purchase a nice new white one! They certainly have much better eye appeal on the Z. But thats just my opinion!

no way, its an original plate, thats like saying, screw the 240z, go with the 350 it has a smoother ride!