IGNORED

has anyone restored their license plate?

280z

i just finished restoring my tail light bezels and bought a new blue and yellow frame to match the plate. next i want to restore the plate and im looking for tips if anyone has had experience with this.

post-5753-14150795434097_thumb.jpg

"altering government property" All I did was repaint the letters to make them more readable-same color-just not faded and chalky.

I went to court over the ticket because I had improved the readability of the plate. I took in before and after photos, and while the judge agreed that I had improved the plate, the fact was, I had altered it.

Will

Here's a link to a list of license plate restorers you can check out if you find it is legal to do in California. I haven't had this done nor cleared it with the California DMV.

http://www.autoguide.net/hobby/license_plates.shtml

If you find out what the DMV says about this, please post back here to let us all know what their response was. I searched Ca. DMV and couldn't locate anything on this.

I had my Cali Blue/Yellow done by Mojo Art Works http://www.mojoartworks.com/

It was a nice job - rust gone, dents gone, creases gone - but - the paint they used was a little soft. Basically, the yellow on the numbers blasted off on the front plate within a year. I ended up redoing the numbers myself with "One-Shot" brand "Chrome Yellow".

ok thanks for the info everyone, i couldnt find anything on the web either but i will call them during the week and find out. im gonna do it either way but i know i need to order new stickers first. now that im taking a real close look at them, it seems that it could easily be done with some tape and an xacto knife. ill keep you guys updated

Victor,

When you had your plates done, did you check with DMV? Did you have to get new tags (stickers) for the new plates?

I'm kind of curious about this because my plate's looking kinda shabby, but if it's too much of a hassle I'll just get new ones from DMV.

Thanks

Here in the Land Down Under, we can purchase "Personalized" plates in whatever lettering and colour scheme you want, provided the lettering hasn't been already issued.

I don't know how true it is but I've heard that plates can be ordered to duplicate the original plate first issued to the vehicle.

Doesn't your DMV offer a similar service ???.

Rick.