IGNORED

New Poll of the month June 05

hls30.com

When is it OK to replace a factory part with a non factory part? Read all first!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. When is it OK to replace a factory part with a non factory part? Read all first!

• When ever the mood strikes. Nissan doesn't own my car, I do.
    • When the factory parts cost substantially more than non-factory replacements.
    • When a new part offers a performance or maintenance gain the old part did not have.
    • Only when the part needs replacing and the replacement will not normally be noticeable.
    • When the new part is visually indistinguishable from a Nissan part.
    • When the factory parts are NLA, and there are effectively no spares.
    • Never, you and you blasphemers should be flogged and keelhaulled for thinking it is.

This poll is not flexible enough. The answers constrain you to a limited scope of opinion. Are we speaking strictly of 240Z's? When the car was new, many would have used aftermarket, but now that it is a classic they would tend toward OEM parts. I think the assumptions should be stated up front, the question is stated too broadly.

Bill,

I want to get you guys to post your thoughts and ideas, not just answer a series of questions with one of my answers. My answers are there only for those who eat lotus blossoms, those who want a second serving of soma, and those who want a fleeting visit to thinking about the underlying question, but have something rusty or incomplete in the garage, the back yard, or anywhere they can find to store it.

The point of the poll is to make you think and then follow up with a post-looks like it is doing exactly what I wanted it to-!

I could easliy make a closed ended poll, specific to a needle point, but what fun would it be to get only my answers back...I know what I think, what do you think? Thinking I am stupid is not an option I will ever put in a poll-no matter how closely it may resemble your reality! LOL

Will

When is it OK? When ever you wants and when ever the $$$ is available. Toys are made to play with and have fun. If it blows your skirt up....go for it!

I just love my 240, so what ever it takes to push that certain button (fun button), it will add it to the wish list.

I am doing what I feel is appropriate for the car in todays world. Why have a 4 speed with a direct 4th gear doing 3900 rpm at 75 MPH? I went with the long O/D 5-speed and installed a 3.9 L/S. Purists will go nuts when you "modify" a stock 240Z. But, it is what the car needed when it was new. 280Z had that option, eventually. I decided to run a rear and front spoiler just because it reminds me of the old days... When Z's were supposed to look that way. I like the L6 engine and have stroked it and bored an F54 block to 2995 cc. It runs Z Therapy SU's and the engine appears stock. (It would have been cheaper to put a V6 in her!) I think we all want what is best for our particular needs. Every time I see a kid with ground effects on his Civic, I just shake my head. I guess people do the same with me and my blue Z. Boys, you do what you have to do asking no questions!