IGNORED

New Poll of the month June 05

hls30.com

When is it OK to replace a factory part with a non factory part? Read all first!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. When is it OK to replace a factory part with a non factory part? Read all first!

• When ever the mood strikes. Nissan doesn't own my car, I do.
    • When the factory parts cost substantially more than non-factory replacements.
    • When a new part offers a performance or maintenance gain the old part did not have.
    • Only when the part needs replacing and the replacement will not normally be noticeable.
    • When the new part is visually indistinguishable from a Nissan part.
    • When the factory parts are NLA, and there are effectively no spares.
    • Never, you and you blasphemers should be flogged and keelhaulled for thinking it is.

Good poll Will!

I voted "When a new part offers a performance or maintenance gain the old part did not have" because of past experience.

I could also have selected "When the factory parts cost substantially more than non-factory replacements" because there are times when I've had to make a decision to buy quality aftermarket parts and keep the car running, and walking to work to save more money for new or remanufactured Nissan parts.

I do, however, use genuine Nissan parts whenever they are available and the best value for the money.

I don't think there's a definitive answer to this. It's really going to vary according to the part. I'm specifically thinking of items that are supposed to be replaced like tires, oil filters, windshield wiper blades, batteries, etc. Are you really going to go with a Nissan battery? When it's something that's easily replaced later I don't think it really matters.

I agree with you Mike, but it is just that synergy that I hope will have members posting!

I don't think too many members would have quams about replacing a good many things, but I want to find out if there are any taboo items in the collective!

I am partial to the Lseries engine-not necessarily the one that came with the car, but one in the right series. I have absolutely no attatchment to Dealer installed options-the A/c sucks a$$, it is getting replaced, but don't think the controls are going to change! I like the look of the car, I just want it to perfrorm better. I want that AC to freeze me out of the car when I ask it to.

What parts(tires, batteries, fluids) are no brainer exchanges, and what parts require more serious thought(braided hoses?). I am hoping for member opinions here!

Will

What parts(tires, batteries, fluids) are no brainer exchanges, and what parts require more serious thought(braided hoses?). I am hoping for member opinions here!

Easy (for me, IMO).. when OEM exceeds the aftermarket in quality, OEM will be my choice for replacement parts. For example, suspension/steering parts (ball joints, tie rods) will be OEM until NLA, but I do not require bushings, hardware and the like to be OEM. Many orders from VB attest to that. They are new, look great, but I, myself, cannot vouch for the authenticity that they are from the same mfr. that supplied Nissan with those nearly identical parts, or better urethane bushings.

Braided hoses? Well, I'm sure that they came as OEM in '77, but all the NOS parts (in Nissan and old Datsun bags) were not braided. I'd rather be able to inspect the condition of the hoses than look like it rolled off the showroom floor. Of course, neither of mine were ever intended to do that, and if they were, they would most certainly be garage queens, only to be on a trailer and looked at but never driven. Not my cup of tea, but it is for others. No offense intended, don't take it that way if you have or are rebuilding a GQ.

For the other renewable parts, plugs, wires, hoses, it will be better than duct tape fixes, but generally off the shelf quality parts. There are things the dealer/MSA/VB/Zparts.com can't supply.

For Lucy, my almost DD, she hopefully get the OEM parts she wants, as required. But I've also have to keep her on the road, so money does come into play. Luckily, I've got my second bedroom filled with lots of parts (thanks to Chloe) that she will get rather than my first project. Hey, plans change all the time. The other gal is going to get dressed up just enough for daily driving, then Lucy will undergo her surgery, the right way. Good to have some practice under the belt, eh? Guess I'll have to change that 8K down to 4K and get on with life. :classic:

Wayne

My Z's are my toys. I want to enjoy them as sports cars. Obviously, I'm not into restoration or "show cars". The latest one will remain closest to stock ('78 280), with a breathed on engine and ZX 5 spd tranny and 3.90 Rear. A fun car for the street, that a Honda won't walk over, thus the "breathed on".

The others will probably end up as a highly modified 2.8 or 3.1 fuel injected '78 280, with a highly modified suspension and a '76 280 which will probably receive an LT1 w/ six speed and coil overs if the money is there at the time!

I love the cars, but the seats are the pits, so they will be changed. A little work achieves an additional 25 -30 HP without compromising the drivability. The suspension can use a little work, lowering and tightening on the 280s particularly, as they were raised to meet the bumper height requirements. The cars are my entertainment.

Not knocking a fully restored 240Z, but it is not for me. I am a hot rodder at heart who enjoys a sportscar for its handling and performance.

As background, My first sportscar was a 100-4 Austin Healey. My friends and I did at least four V-8 conversions on Healey's. A h*** of a lot of fun!

Everyone has an opinion on this. The car was made to enjoy!

I don't like being relegated to one choice here, because it doesn't make sense for me. I chose "Nissan doesn't own my car". But, for my 240Z, I'm shooting for restoration, so going Nissan original if at all possible. However, for my 280Z, I'll do whatever I want. During my 280Z suspension restoration, I have lots of Nissan parts because I think their quality is often better, but I have Moog ball joints, poly bushings, and tokico shocks and springs. I also have an aftermarket steering wheel and a leather Nismo shift knob. So, what I want is Nissan only in one case (240Z), and anything goes in another (280Z). All depends on your goals.

I have a 240 which I bought new 32 years ago. I drive it. It’s been back and forth across the Atlantic five times, been through snow, salt, rain, whatever it happens to be doing on the day I drive it. I drive it to shows, have won a couple, and she’s in excellent condition inside and out.

IMHO, I take advantage of every single upgrade from OEM that I can get. From Pertronics and MSD ignition, sway bars, radiator, bushings, Toyota brakes and exhaust to carbs. Can you imagine me sticking with my flat-top carbs? Soon as the warranty expired off came the OEM carbs and all the related emissions paraphernalia and I have never looked back. There is no doubt she’s a 240, but I want her to have the best I can afford. Just recently, I replaced the original alternator with a 105 amp unit. I have been waiting for the original alternator to die and finally I had to shoot it to put it out of its misery. Well, now I kick myself for not doing it sooner. What a tremendous difference and it looks like OEM to me.

All these upgrades may have some negative affect on its value but then I didn’t buy my car and keep it this long to sell, I bought it to drive. Anything that makes it drive better, faster, safer and more enjoyable while retaining its basic philosophy (by that I mean no V8, wings, flares etc) is fine by me.

Well, even if someone wants V8s, wings, flares, etc. that's all right by me. It's not my car. As far as OEM parts go, I'll use them if I determine them to be the best part for the application. But I have also replaced some of the efi components on my cars with the actual Bosch parts rather than the JECS copies that Datsun/Nissan used. They are much easier to find, and IMO better quality parts. My vehicles are to be driven rather than admired (except maybe by me). It would be ludicrous for me to rely on 30+ year old hoses or even the flimsy clamps (again my opinion) that hold them on. I've even upgraded my a/c units from R12 to R414B. It's legal, costs less and is more efficient but I guess that's not technically a 'factory part' situation. I like Zs and Datsuns in all forms. I am just happy to see that there is still the type of interest in them that there is. Even if someone's Z has a V8, he chose that body for a reason.

For me and I'll bet most other Z folks economics play a hugh roll in the decision on whether to buy OEM or aftermarket. For instance. I was rebuilding rear calipers on a 1983 ZX. I went to the local Nissan dealer to purchase new pistons. They priced them at $108.00 each. Now, who in their right mind would pay that when you can buy a complete caliper already rebuilt for around $60.00. And that was with our club discount. Having said that I also believe that we build and maintain our cars to suit us. Not other people. Any job that is done correctly is a job well done whether done with OEM or after market.