IGNORED

Seat mechanism covers

GunnerRob

Here's what the '72-'73 version looks like. One problem seems to be that the holes for the tiny screws that hold the cover in place are very close to the edge and they tend to break at that point.

Hey, thanks Mike.

Ya, I know that the tabs breaking off is the weak point. That's why I'm going to make them out of metal. I talked to an auto customizer friend of mine about whether to go with steel or aluminum, from a coating standpoint. I think I'm going to go with steel. I also think it would be best to offer them with primer instead of trying to match all the different colors for each individual car. I don't want to get into trying to match faded interiors and such. What do you all think about this?

Hey, thanks Mike.

Ya, I know that the tabs breaking off is the weak point. That's why I'm going to make them out of metal. I talked to an auto customizer friend of mine about whether to go with steel or aluminum, from a coating standpoint. I think I'm going to go with steel. I also think it would be best to offer them with primer instead of trying to match all the different colors for each individual car. I don't want to get into trying to match faded interiors and such. What do you all think about this?

I'd take a pair provided the price is reasonable and the match is good. As long as the total weight is under a pound you can ship anywhere in the US priority mail at the post office for $3.85. I would think that aluminum would be easier to work with but I have no idea how you plan on making them. Isn't it going to be tricky to match the grain?

I'd take a pair provided the price is reasonable and the match is good. As long as the total weight is under a pound you can ship anywhere in the US priority mail at the post office for $3.85. I would think that aluminum would be easier to work with but I have no idea how you plan on making them. Isn't it going to be tricky to match the grain?

I'll know a ballpark price after I see how many people want them. The more to sell, the less expensive. The cost of materials is miniscule compared to the cost of set-up.

The match will be very good and the grain very close.

The total weight shouldn't be more than a pound, I imagine.

Aluminum would definitely be lighter but steel would be stronger and I feel it's best to match materials when possible (the seat mechanism is steel).

I think making them available in primer is OK, as far as I know they were available only in the Henry Ford situation-"any color you want as long as it is black."

I don't think it will mater whether they are aluminum or steel, as MikeW pointed out, only the mounting holes break-they are the only points of stress, and almost always break from overtightening.

Will

I think making them available in primer is OK, as far as I know they were available only in the Henry Ford situation-"any color you want as long as it is black."

I don't think it will mater whether they are aluminum or steel, as MikeW pointed out, only the mounting holes break-they are the only points of stress, and almost always break from overtightening.

Will

I doubt anyone is going to break these due to overtightening. If I get feedback confirming they were only available in black then I'll sell them painted black.

a noob is short for a new-bie noo-b someone that doesn't know squat about something and isn't afraid to say it, or a way to call someone a name and it isn't as bad as calling them a dumba$$, or whatever, heh.

Only one part number in the club CD-Black must be it!

Will

That's very encouraging. Does everyone else, that has responded so far, agree with the club CD? If so, then I can go in that direction, and if someone wants to change the color of theirs then they can do that themselves. Sound good?

The plastic covers also break when people slide their arse on top of and over them when getting in and out of the seat. It's especially bad if you have a 72 seat bottom that has stretched out strap supports causing you to sit low in the car. Aluminum covers would suffer much worse than steel in this sort of situation, IMO

FWIW, I've never seen them in any color other than black in any 240 or 260Z I have seen.

The plastic covers also break when people slide their arse on top of and over them when getting in and out of the seat. It's especially bad if you have a 72 seat bottom that has stretched out strap supports causing you to sit low in the car. Aluminum covers would suffer much worse than steel in this sort of situation, IMO

FWIW, I've never seen them in any color other than black in any 240 or 260Z I have seen.

Thanks Carl.

That's another reason I want to go with steel. Aluminum would have to be considerably thicker than steel to have the same strength. I want these to be the best possible replacement I can provide.

It's looking more like black is the correct color for all interiors. Cool. :)