IGNORED

Seat mechanism covers

GunnerRob

Hello fellow Zophites

I’m looking into having reclining seat mechanism covers made for my Z and was wondering how much of a demand there is for them aside from my own. If they turn out nice and if there is enough interest, I’ll see what it’ll cost to have more made. I’ll also look into having covers made for the early non-reclining seats if I get enough interest for those and can get a hold of a used set of covers to work from.

I can have them made out of steel or aluminum and they should have the same texture as the original plastic covers. They would be within 2% accurate to the original and they can be painted matt black or possibly have a crinkle finish. Let me know what you think. I don’t know if the other interior colors had matching covers or not, so if you know, please fill me in on that. Any and all input is appreciated.

I’d like to know what you guys/gals think of this effort and whether you’d be interested in them. I don’t know exactly how much they will cost to make yet, but I’d like to know what you all think would be a fair price (in US dollars). I wouldn’t think the shipping would be much since they won’t weigh much (I’ve not shipped UPS before). I’d also like to know if you’d prefer them as a set (both sides) or available individually (left or right side).

I'll be looking into this sometime this week, so if you have any input, suggestions, or any feedback, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and input!

Rob

Mine is a '75 280Z, but if there is enough interest in covers for 240Z's to warrant the costs, then I'll look into making covers for them as well, providing I can get an original set from a 240Z.

I need to find out what style each model requires. I'm hoping to get help on that from you members. Pics would help alot!

I would be interested....in the metal ones...the plastic ones always break eventually...only if for the 240z....(reclining type, 1972 Series II)...

I would pay $50 at least if they were perfect metal ones! (well I think I would).

I'd spring for a couple of pair for a 240Z. and even supply an OEM set(1972, series II, please return them) for mockup! For a little over a year, I have been experimenting with casting parts in plastic, but the heat the sun, my animal magnitism, or their composition, causes them to decompose too quickly to offer. pressed metal would be good-repainting takes a lot less time than recasting.

Will

Thanks for your interest guys.

dogma420

They will definately be metal and be very close to what came with the car originally. I still don't know the selling price. It'll depend on the styles and total quantities requested overall.

hls30.com

Thanks for your offer to loan out your OEM set. I would however surely return them. But let's wait and see how many people are sincerely interested in buying them before we go that far. I think a good target quantity is somewhere around 20 sets for each style. Unless of course you'd like to pay an exorbitant price for a couple of sets! ROFL

Like I said before, I need to find out which year model requires which style of cover. So far I"ve found out that Zeddfindings lists 72-73 and 74-76 covers. Here again, good quality pics would help out a lot.

If you ever do them yourself, I will get a set, PM me.

I honestly think if the price is right, that every single forum person would snatch them up, because I've never seen them sold, and they are always broken.

Just my .02 dollars.

Count me in---I'm a noob here but I need em for my '73.

I agree with the sentiment expressed already. These things are expensive for what they are if and when you find them and are doomed to break even when new.

My hat is off to the idea!

Count me in---I'm a noob here but I need em for my '73.

I agree with the sentiment expressed already. These things are expensive for what they are if and when you find them and are doomed to break even when new.

My hat is off to the idea!

Thanks Zup. I appreciate your interest and support. Your request makes 5 sets that are wanted, including mine (if it turns out I can adapt the 240z covers to fit my 280z)! Man, at this pace, I should have enough people ready to buy them (20 or so) to start the process by Friday. This is GREAT!

BTW, what is a noob?

Here again, good quality pics would help out a lot.

Here's what the '72-'73 version looks like. One problem seems to be that the holes for the tiny screws that hold the cover in place are very close to the edge and they tend to break at that point.

post-3294-14150795249028_thumb.jpg