IGNORED

240z vs 280z

mrcow

mrcow,

Go look at the 280z and drive it. If it is tuned and not tired you will probably be impressed enough to smile during your test drive. The 280z should ride smoother and quieter while the 240z gives you a better feel of the road and handles better. The side-draft carbs and intake on the 240z will need a while to warm up in the morning, so you will have to plan for that. The advantage is quicker throttle response and low end torque from the carbs, which combined with the lighter weight give an overall more sports car feel. (IMO)

It may take you a while to find a 240z in a condition which you would want to buy to drive. In the meantime, if the 280z doesn't have any major problems you could be enjoying it while you are in search of.

Remember, people are either looking for their first Z, or their next Z. :love:

wow no one mentioned the tail lights huh?? I perfer the compact look of the 240zs tail lights over the 260 and 280's seperate reverse lights..

Also, modded 240ZGs are just soo beautiful..

02111027.JPG

one of the reasons im considering selling my modded 240sx just to pick up a 240z..

EDit- this is a very informative thread!!! I know its hard to decide because alot of 280zs are in way better condition.. I see them in the junk yards and think of how good the chassis appears to have held up over older ones.

As a side note a friend of mine installed early 240z lights in a 260z and found it very simple and straight forward I think he managed to get it done in 30mins.

The light bulbs will go into the 240z lights the same no mods there and you just have to cut a small section of metal in order to put the lights in.

So if your worried about the tail lights it's not such a big thing to change. Personally I'd rather start with a 240z but that's just me.

If you install a half cage in a 240z you get rid of alot of chassis twist and the whole car changes.

Mr. camouflage - valid point, but one has to consider that those are the GROSS horsepower figures. if you compare the NET HP figures, you will find the power/weight HP figures will be slightly more biased towards the 240z (since the 240z had much less power-robbing smog equipment)

Mr. camouflage - valid point, but one has to consider that those are the GROSS horsepower figures. if you compare the NET HP figures, you will find the power/weight HP figures will be slightly more biased towards the 240z (since the 240z had much less power-robbing smog equipment)

That uses the same reasoning a Tomohawk's dragster/Corvette thread. I assume we are comparing gross hp to gross hp as stated by the factory. These are just numbers that can be used for general comparison. I doubt that 30+ years later that a real-world comparison could be done. 'Lies, damn lies, and statistics' as the old saying goes.

I think that the figures on the data plates for the 280Z were NET HP, on the 240Z they were GROSS HP.

EDIT: I'm not entering this discussion, or taking sides. Just posted to make sure people realized that the type of HP reported on the data plates changed between the 240Z and 280Z.

i'm not insinuating that the 240 by any means had more net hp than the 280, but the difference isn't as drastic as previously stated (and so the power/weight ratio would be slightly different). anyway, the net figure that gav mentioned would be the 147 on the plates, correct?

anyway, i am in no way saying that the 240 has more net hp than the 280. sorry for the misunderstanding

I think that the figures on the data plates for the 280Z were NET HP, on the 240Z they were GROSS HP.

EDIT: I'm not entering this discussion, or taking sides. Just posted to make sure people realized that the type of HP reported on the data plates changed between the 240Z and 280Z.

The 280 was still rated at GHP. My tag says 170 hp. If that were net then wouldn't the gross be even higher? I believe the net ratings began in 79 with the ZX, at least here in the US.