IGNORED

240z vs 280z

mrcow

I do not think you will get the weight down to the 240's unless you gut the entire interior. You could replace body parts (like the hood) with light weight ones but that will get pricey after a while. The easiest thing to do to get the weight to a 240's is to buy a 240.

Either series is great to have. The bumpers weigh 113lbs (not including the shocks) on the 280. The shocks are about 15lbs each. Put smaller bumpers on or a aero kit or no bumpers at all and you bring the weight down almost 175lbs (give or take a few). And if you really want to get picky you could probably change out the doors from the 240 to a 280 as long as it's a '75 or '76 since the latch system is the same (they went to a inside latch in '77). You would save some weight without the door reinforcements. Granted the car would no longer have much of a value to a collector, but who cares, I want to own the car not sell it.

Bottom line: you can't lose with either one

The power steering intrigues me, I'd love to see it since I've never seen one in a 280 (factory that is).

You won't go wrong with either model. The 280 is not a slug by any means. My 82 280zx was a slug.(but it still was a car I really liked) My 70 240z that got written off did handle better, but in terms of a strait line drag race they really were about the same.(both in stock form) I would really like to get another 240 myself, but I got to live with my 77 280 for now. Getting those big bumpers off the car does make it look a lot better.

Aw, come on, the bumpers are part of what makes a 280Z a 280Z. I have owned both. If you try to make a 240 out of a 280, you'll be dissapointed. Different cars. And no a 280Z does not have power steering. At least, not in the US.

Maybe I should have used "a little slower" rather than a "slug". Top end speed maybe the same but the acceleration is down when compared to the series 1. I think from memory that the series 1 held the fastest 0-60 time until the 280ZXT came out. So the early zeds do get there just a little faster mainly due to weight reduction. The series 1 weighs 2200lbs.

But in terms of engine drivability, the EFI of the 280z is a winner. Just think, no more horrid cold starts in winter. Just turn the key and varoom. Remember that carbs are tuned to the atmospheric conditions at the time of tuning. EFI will automatically adjust itself via the O2 sensor and ECU for density of air...perfect!

Just shop around for the best one you can get.

Since you are asking for opinions, I'll give you mine... I say buy a 240, preferrably a '70 to '72, but a '73 would be fine as well. 240s are widely recognized as classics. 260s and 280s are not (at least not yet). 240s are generally worth more and have more potential to appreciate in value than 280s. Like a lot of the other members have mentioned, it really depends on what you are looking for in a Zcar. Good luck!

Steve