IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

So with the information I have read here, I could for all intents and purposes, restore a 240Z, but use a different colour combination (interior/exterior correct match for the year), and it could still be considered all original, or "perfect restoration" (as long as it was done well), and the vin would never reveal that?

Does the door tag have body and/or interior colour information?

The body color code is printed on a tag underneath the front of the hood, right by the radiator. A "perfect restoration" would need this tag, so it would need to be the right color car. And only certain interior/exterior color combinations were offered, so you may be able to do a different interior color, but there would be limited choices on it.

"but" ? The Series I cars had the plastic tool storage covers... So it sounds like your Z is a Series I example.

...snip...

My apologies, I was confusing the 8-71 I have that has the storage lids on the rear deck.

Carl, it never ceases to amaze me your capacity for knowledge regarding the Z heritage. Thank you.

Ok, so I tried looking for a while last night (over an hour anyway), on zhome, to find the list of known S30 to still exist, to see if mine was listed, if not I would have it added. Anyway I couldn't find and I'm sure it was zhome that I had seen it on before.

Am I crazy, or can I have a link?

Ricklandia, it looks form the info on Z Car Registers listed below that the car you are talking about with VIN ; HLs30 134739 was built in November of 1972.

VIN:HLS30 134607 Production Date:11 / 72

Color Body /Int :Green / Black

Orig.Eng.Number:l24 141960

Owner:Jeff Galbraith City/State/Cntry:London Ontario, Canada

IZCC Member#: Comments:Full Restored

e-mail:jeffgalbraith@home.com

Date Registered:23 Feb 00

and

VIN:HLS30 137283 Production Date:12/72

Color Body /Int :112 Lime Green & Black

Orig.Eng.Number:L24 143973

Owner:Curtis & Marge Daniels City/State/Cntry:Saskatoon, SK - Canada

IZCC Member#:4200 Comments:

[70K original miles,original paint]

e-mail:cdaniels@marchconsulting.com

Date Registered:25 June 02

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read every post in here so excuse me if I duplicate a questions. I have several TR6s I am restoring and looking to get back into Zs (have owned 4 in my lifetime). What I was looking for is there a list that shows what VIN numbers cover each year, such as 1970 covers 1-16000 and 1971 covers 16001-75,000, etc so I can tell exactly what year and when the vehicle was made.

Thanks for any assistance.

I haven't read every post in here ...snip...What I was looking for is there a list that shows what VIN numbers cover each year, such as 1970 covers 1-16000 and 1971 covers 16001-75,000, etc so I can tell exactly what year and when the vehicle was made.

Thanks for any assistance.

Emphasis mine.

Just look up 6 posts before yours.

Welcome to your first post, we are glad to have you aboard. A future warning, though, ther are some on this board who take it personally if you don't take time and effort to search your topic question before posting, even if you offer a caveat.