IGNORED

Video: OS Giken TC16-MA2 and a LY-240Z racing

Hallowed

The same thing happened to me, Carl. I right clicked and saved to file on my computer.

So thinking this was the neatest video, I took it and a catalog from "Pit Road" http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kyuusya/index-3.htm up to Z Mecca in Tampa this weekend. While there, I got to see a video of Japanese drag racing, two of the Sagamiko events Alan posted pictures of, and that "Best Motoring" video we talked about. Geez! I thought I had some good footage?! Slapped on some Japanese this weekend I did...

Eric, where can I get a copy of the Best Motoring videos? DVD. They were cool.

Got a big lesson in cylinder head design from the Japanese drag racers. I saw mid elevens and one 11.2 These guys are spending $15,000 on their engines. Something like the LY head is unobtanium. You have to know someone who has one well enough to obtain one. The OS Giken heads are pretty much the same story. They trade privately. What is so great about the video is getting a glimpse at hundreds of thousands of dollars being spent!

Hey Chris did you actually see the Fairlady Z Best Motoring Video Special #56 DVD in your hands? Did you check to see if it was a region encoded DVD (I think Japan is Zone 2 or Zone 3) or if it is region free?

As for ordering it, I went to my local Kinokuniya Bookstore (there's one in LA, one in SanFran, and other places too including I think the East Coast) with a printout from the Japanese Best Motoring website of what I wanted and requested they order me a copy. It can take about a month to arrive if it's still available as I think they send them by boat from Japan...

I refer to the JAPANESE BestMotoring website because there's a recently created BestMotoring International which is dubbed into English but by the same people that do the English dub of the culinary show IRON CHEF!!! And clearly these people are not car guys because they keep referring to the KPGC10 Skyline GT-R as the "Ha-Koo-Soo-Ka" which just kills it for me... I mean how complicated is it to first listen to the Japanese pronunciation of Hak-o-ss-ka & then repeat it???

Sorry if i'm a little pissy this AM I woke up to find some jackass had broken into one of our old cars last night. It isn't so much that they stole the radio out of the Karmann Ghia that bothers me so it's that they didn't bother first checking to see if the doors were locked before they went ahead and broke the passenger quarter glass... the driver door's never locked because the lock's broken... so pissed....

-e

Ok so I just heard back from Kinokuniya Bookstore regarding the Best Motoring Video Special #56 (Fairlady Z Special)

The VHS is no longer available - only the Zone 2 DVD is.

In Japan it retails for 2500yen ($20) but they will charge you roughly $40 to get it here (basically they double Japanese retail price to account for shipping, etc...).

Being unsure that my DVD player will play Zone2 I have to pass which bums me out.

But if someone wants it, you can call Kumiko at the downtown LosAngeles store at 213 687 4221 & she can order it for you. For the guys that aren't local I'm sure they can also ship it to your address.

-e

Hi Eric,

I didn't realize what the DVD was when I was watching it and I will have to ask about it and the region free situation. Give me some time and I'll see what kind of advice I can get. The video I watched was in Japanese - there's hope!

......I took it and a catalog from "Pit Road" http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kyuusya/index-3.htm up to Z Mecca in Tampa this weekend.

"Z Mecca" is in Tampa? I never noticed a city called Tampa when I was in Japan......LOL

Christopher, I just want to point out ( although I'm sure you realised ) that most of what you can see on Pit Road's website is actually the product of KAMEARI ENGINE WORKS - a quite different company. Pit Road simply scanned Kameari's catalogue and put it up on their own website.... Pit Road are authorised sellers of Kameari products.

I have been buying Kameari's products for many years, and I usually visit them whenever I am in Japan. I can vouch for their commitment to Nissan's L-series engines, and the quality of their products. If anybody wants to know anything about them, then please don't hesitate to ask me.

Eric, I think you'll find that the Best Motoring volume 56 DVD is MPEG-2 NTSC - like most Japanese DVDs. The VHS video version is NTSC.

My computer seems to play the Japanese MPEG-2 NTSC DVDs just fine. In 1993 I bought a multi-region video machine expressly to play the NTSC VHS tapes I bought in Japan ( UK format is PAL ). Nowadays they seem quite common, and much cheaper.

It is probably quite incorrect to use a Muslim reference these days, but whilst outside the homeland, one must make pilgrimage to the various substantial collections around the world. Thus Z Mecca in Tampa. We had a gathering this weekend and we were talking about you, Alan! Our gathering had a very distinct Japanese flavor as you might guess.

Yes, I noticed the Kameari reference and the very reason I sat up and took notice is because I know you are well aquainted with their performance parts. Much of the catalog was explained to me this weekend. I'm still in a mild state of drool.

• 1 month later...

I have it saved.

Unfortunately, l dont have enough online storage to upload it, and not enough bandwidth to sustain it.

That said, if someone does, allow me to upload it so all can view it once more.

It is one hell of a mean sounding 510. :devious: