IGNORED

Console repair: How to patch holes?

johncdeere

16 minutes ago, Lumens said:

That is really good to know about ABS cement. I really hate mixing resin to use fiberglass on smaller projects.

I gave it a try because my leftover resin went bad a while back and I couldn't bring myself to buy more for such small projects.  Resin won't chemically bond to plastics, though the mechanical bond is usually strong enough for non-structural repairs.  I haven't tested, but I'm pretty sure the ABS cement has a stronger bond.

2 minutes ago, psdenno said:

The ABS cement with fiberglass mat is a good tip to know.  Does it ooze through the crack to the face of the panel or is it thick like fiberglass resin?

It's about the same viscosity as fiberglass resin; maybe a little bit thinner.  It would ooze through if the crack was large enough and you used enough.  My approach was to tack the pieces or cracks together with the cement first, then reinforce with the glass and cement.  I had good luck using a toothpick to fill in cracks and gouges, too.

Also, unlike resin which is chemically catalyzed, this stuff is solvent based and will start to thicken almost immediately.  You also can't glop it on too thick or the outside will set and it'll take forever for the rest of the solvent to evaporate.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Some fiberglass drywall joint tape and ABS cement works great so far!  Only time will tell.

How long did it take for the ABS cement to dry when you used it with the fiberglass joint tape?  Single thin coat or several coats?

Dennis

18 hours ago, psdenno said:

How long did it take for the ABS cement to dry when you used it with the fiberglass joint tape?  Single thin coat or several coats?

Dennis

It dries really fast!  I've only put on one layer and coat so far and after 15 minutes I was handling it pretty normal, almost trying to break it loose. :D

I cut the fiberglass to size.  Put a thin layer of ABS down, too thin apparently, when I go to stick the mat down the cement had already started to set up. :o

I pushed it in with a finger though and put a medium top coat over the mat, you can still see the little squares.  I'm about to put a second layer on this morning and will put up a picture.

This is a very promising idea like someone said above.

I half assed it am happy enough to put it back in until I do a full restore.  I want to drive!

Some taped over the crack and come in from the bottom side with the ABS cement and it works like a charm.  Like I said, with a little more effort I could have made the cracks unnoticeable.  (I think :D)

DSC01413.JPG

DSC01409.JPG

• Like 2