IGNORED

Z Car On History Channel November 7

sblake01

I finally got around to watching this show (I was on a cruise all last week) and was a bit surprised by the results. For those of you who haven't seen it the premise was to take a pair of stock 1971 240Z's, enhance the performance a bit, and drag race them. Both teams kept the stock L24 but chose to upgrade the cam. Other modifications included headers, an MSD unit, and, for some reason, a Holley 4bbl carb and matching intake.

The surprise to me was the results. The faster car apparently managed the following in 1/4 mile:

0-60mph: 13.2 seconds

top speed: 85mph

total time: 17.8 seconds

Is it just me or isn't that significantly worse than stock? Maybe they should have run the cars before making any modifications.

Agreed Mike

Backyard modifications at best. Did anyone think the 390 Holley carb was a bit much considering they did nothing to the internals other than the cam. The cars seems "bogged" down at the green light.

Vicky

Recipe for Full Throttle a TV show!

1) Pick a weekend-any weekend a track is available and just sitting there alone.

2) Start with cars with a following-if you don't get a car people are emotional about-no one will watch!

3) Add several servings of dipstick fed Turbo Twins,

4) Ad four parts of basic automotive knowledge "one hand on" enthusiasts,

5) Add something MSA was willing to donate two sets of

6) 1/2 bake at 20 hours

7) Add a healthy smathering goober antics and temper tantrums from the turbo twins at about 10-15 hours.

8) Add enough History of the original cars to hold the rest of the fluff together-it will take a bunch, so have plenty on hand(older cars have more),

9) Can it and sell it to the History Channel

Now, to take the recipe from bland to grand, make the following changes:

1) Start with only one car-but it would have to be factory and close to flawless.

2) Get the four of nastiest handed, published wellsprings of Z upgrade knowledge from Hybrid Z-make sure they are all challenged personalities, with Jessie James and his best bud(for the outrageous materials and time donations that go with them) instead of the turbo twins and their cronies

2) Limit them to mechanical changes only,(Har, Har, fat chance!)

3) Bake for a full week(use a big pan, expect lots of bubble overs)!

You will have a media circus, Greddy, Stillen, and everybody else making 350Z performance parts will close up shop for the month before to fabricate something for the 240Z to get on National Television.

You will also have a fast car-but you would have also ended with a hacked up, once breathtaking Z, with modifications Bill Gates couldn't afford, instead of easily correctable mistakes on two cars, and some parts for Ebay!

Ok, who with several "best in show" awards is ready to give up some keys?

Will

Agreed Mike

Backyard modifications at best. Did anyone think the 390 Holley carb was a bit much considering they did nothing to the internals other than the cam. The cars seems "bogged" down at the green light.

Vicky

I thought the Holley carb install was a joke. ANY side-draft carb set up would have been preferable, even a "backyard" rebuild of the stock SU's would have been better. I wonder what condition the rest of the engines were in. Compression, Leak down, etc.

Like someoine else said, they should have raced before and after the "mods". We'll never will know if they improved anything or not.

I bet it'll run on Comedy Central since the show was a joke IMO. The only good part was when they showed the Z's BEFORE they touched them and the Z history was interesting.

It's possible they'll run it again this weekend as so many of the weekly shows on the Discovery, History and Learning Channel are repeated during Saturday and Sunday.

Can you try and e-mail the History channel and ask about a re-run or a possible video? Most of the other programs are offered on video.

Just a thought

Vicky