IGNORED

Yet another Rust Question. Help!

Resident

Hi, I'm about to buy my first 240z. Its a 1970. Everything looked great on it, then I noticed some rust at the passenger side door. The first bit I saw was on the metal cord that runs down the door jam. It was originally wrapped in vinyl or some sort of coating. The coatin has been seperated and there is some pretty serious flaking inside. I asked the owner about it and he pointed out that this wasn't part of the frame, and would be easy to fix.

I then looked underneath that area and saw there was a little more rust. This wasn't nearly as bad as that mentioned before. I think tha it could probably be fixed without putting new metal in.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think this is a serious enough problem to hold off buying the car? I'm somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to auto work, so at this point, any of this I would have to get done professionally. The car is 8900, and thats kind of my limit for the present time on how much I could put into it.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

tom

If I read your description right you may be talking about the metal under the door weatherstrip. If it is, it definately is structural as this is where the outer quarter panel is welded to the chassis. If it is just flaking without any major holes it could be repaired, but it is hard to say without seeing it.

Is there any way you could get a picture and post it?? If there is, we could give you a much better idea if it is something that could cause you major problems. I have not seen too many Z's with rust in the door jamb area except for the bottom where it meets the rocker panel. If it is on the bottom of the door jamb it is likely that the rocker panel is the culprit and they are relatively easy to replace. However, if the rust is too bad it may mean the rust has gotten into the inner rocker panel which will be more difficult as this would be a structural problem. When you say it was covered in vinyl I believe you are talking about the bottom of the door jamb as this is the only place that would have been covered in vinyl, in the door threshhold area. It's difficult to give any accurate opinions without seeing it.

2ManyZ is right. If it's just flaking that is not too big of a problem, but the exact location of the rust would need to be determined.

If it's in the rocker panel itself, then you may be talking about replacing a structural member.

You mentioned a price of $8900 for this car? That seems rather high for a car that has any rust on it, be it just flaking rust or what-not. For that price, I'd expect it to have no rust at all. Anywhere.

I'd also check the area under the battery, the rear hatch ledge, and the rear fender flares for rust. Look for any signs that show the slightest bit of bubbling under the paint. I'd also crawl under the car and do your best to check out the condition of the floors.

If you can, try and find someone who is knowledgable about Zcars to go with you and take a 2nd look. Just make sure you know all you can about the car before making a purchase. That way you know what you're dealing with and you can only be mad at yourself later if it gets to be too much work. (Don't ask me how I know this) :tapemouth

KMack is right. For $8,900 I would not expect to find any rust, anywhere. There are plenty of 240's out there for sale, at a lot cheaper prices. At that price, I would expect it to have new paint, interior and extensive restoration.

Check out this website: http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearchprocess.html

It has 76 cars for sale right now. Fly in to no rust zone and drive one home. It will still be cheaper inthe long run and a cool memory that will last a lifetime!

Take your time and be picky. You will thank yourself later.

Good luck.

Marty

Thanks for the Advice. Unfortunately, the car is in Detroit (I'm in lansing, 1.5hrs away), so I can't get a picture of it. I arranged to have it taken to a Nissan service center to have them inspect it. The price was initially 12,500, but was reduced to 8900 recently, so I was suprised to find rust on it. There are some pic on classicautotrader.com. its the yellow '70 240z in Madison Hts, Mi- it doesn't have picts of area in qurstion though.

Another problem is the location. They use alot of salt on the roads over there and this will lead to rust in every nook and cranny under the car. As suggested, if you have the time and money go to a rust free state (usually in the mid-west) because it sounds like you are dealling with a rarity issue. Most cars don't last more than a few years without rust in the north. And yes, for $8900 the car should be in excellent condition. I paid $500 for my '70 240 and it has little rust and none on the structure.Good luck.

This may be the "scuff pad" located on top of the rocker panel along with the alumunin finish panel that is mounted there. I have seen occasions where the vinyl has seperated and the metal

plate beneath has started to rust. If this is the case, the "scuff pads or panels" can be replaced.