IGNORED

Rear Control arm bushings!

mattymatmat

Hi I read the couple of articles here at 240z.org about rear control arm bushing replacement, but I've recently taken my two rear control arms for my 240z to the machinist and hes going to operate tomorrow. I bought an aftermarket Energy Suspension bushing kit. The bushing kit has an inner sleeve but no inner sleeve in the kit. Its roughly the exact size for the control arm if I remove the outer sleeve that is still stuck in there. Problem is I've taken a hack saw to part of the inner sleeve on one of the control arms. I didn't get to finish the job and the machinist said he could repair it. The machinist is going to clean out the sleeves leave all the outer sleeves in and press in the bushings. But it sounded contrary to what I read... The Energy Suspension bushing instructions (they were generic instructions not particularly specific to my kit) said that if it didn't include any sleeves, I should reuse the old ones... little help?

I have NO experience with the Suspension Techiques kit, but the Poly bushing kits that I am familar with require that the sleeves for the "outer" spindle pin bushings be removed. I installed the Poly bushing straight into the control arm.

If you already got the spindle pins out, what is the machinist going to do?

Did the bushing set you bought come from this site:

http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm

If it did I can tell you that the outer a-arm sleeves must be removed. The bushings do not need to be pressed in, they slip in quite nice.

Generic instructions (should be outlawed) should be read and then thrown away, substitute common sense if they don't jive with whats in front of you.

• Like 1

Just completed replacing rear inner and outer bushings with the Energy Suspension kit. At the wheel side of the control arm (tranverse link) you must remove the outer sleeve. Best method is to use sharp hacksaw to cut slot along the length of the sleeve. Take your time and be careful to keep the blade parallel to the sleeve surface and do not cut into the control arm surface. Cutting thru to 80-90% of the thickness will suffice. When done make another cut parallel to the first cut about 3/8 inch away. Now take a punch to that 3/8 inch wide piece and roll it thru the hole. When you get close to the other side the sleeve will pop out.

Suggest you measure the inside dia of the sleeves for the poly outer bushings. The ones in my kit were deviated and measured .628 dia which is the same size as the spindle pin. Will never go together. I got replacements from the factory in San Clemente, Ca which were sized at .644 dia.

• 3 years later...
Did the bushing set you bought come from this site:

http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm

If it did I can tell you that the outer a-arm sleeves must be removed. The bushings do not need to be pressed in, they slip in quite nice.

Generic instructions (should be outlawed) should be read and then thrown away, substitute common sense if they don't jive with whats in front of you.

But it's always better to make sure your common sense matches up to someone else's common sense when it comes to something as important as suspension. As many problems as have been reported with E.S.' quality control I would use caution and get a second opinion before I left parts out when instructions, even though they are generic, say to use them.

I called E.S. and verified that yes in this application the shells are removed and not used.

Just my 2cents...

HI

I would like to have some help too from those who has already install it.

I bought my kit from MSA, and already take off all the the old bushings.

What I did at front control arm was, take out old bushings, clean the hole very well, put some grease and them install the new poly bushings without the old shell. It was very simple.

I supose that at the rear outer control arms should be the same, take the old rubber, sleeves and shell out and them put new poly bushings with easy.

I would like to have some answers too as Iam ready to install suspension on my car asap.

Thank You

Filipe Azevedo

The rear control arms should be the same with one exception. You may have to thin down the edges that contact the rear strut assy where the spindle pins go. I found the suggestion from someone else on this site invaluable for this. Lay a piece of sandpaper on a FLAT surface and sand a little at a time untill they fit, making sure that you take off eqaul amounts on both peices. Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

• 12 years later...

This odd.  Why would they not give dimensions?

https://prothane.com/tech-help-faqs/

Will I Need To Reuse My Metal Shells?

PROTHANE™ has a complete shell program for most popular applications. Many of our control arm bushing kits come complete with a new shell. On some applications you will need to reuse the metal shell, so be very very careful when removing it from the vehicle. The shells them- selves are not a replacement item. If you do damage a shell during the removal procedure, you have a few choices: Obtain a used piece from a repair shop or salvage yard or purchase a new shell with rubber bushings from your local parts store.

NOTE: We do not give out dimensions on our bushings.

Maybe one of the MSA guys would be interested in knowing that, apparently, they are giving bad advice.  Or they could show a control arm with the bushing pressed in to the old sleeve.  This problem has been discussed for 18 years.  Time to get it resolved, maybe?  Has everyone been doing it wrong for 18 years?

@Joseph@TheZStore

Here's the parallel thread on Hybridz.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/26687-front-and-rear-control-arm-bushing/?tab=comments#comment-205934

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Whatever happened to mattymatmat?  He was so close to being the only person ever to try to push the bushing in to the remaining outer sleeve.

Come on triple M!  @mattymatmat

Ha!  What do you mean "so close" to ever try?  He never actually tried or did he try and fail?  Apparently if you can get the urethane bushing in with the outer sleeve, you can achieve legend status?