IGNORED

Absolutely Gorgeous Modified Z

ZmeFly

I must say, the standard of the modification / engineering is very impressive until you see the underside photos. I hope that unibody is still strong enough to cope with the power and torque that is going to be transmitted through it........ It looks a little wobbly under there to say the least.......

"Fur coat and no knickers" as we say over here.:classic:

Alan T.

( ps - maybe I'm just miserable because I've been laying underneath my project car for what seems like the last six months, stripping off all the 34 year old underseal and Factory paint and trying to get back to bare metal :stupid: ).

I see nothing negative about your comments, just good observation, but somewhat different conclusions to mine.

Quite a coincidence that HS-30-H from England should make nearly the same comment as Albrecht did an hour ago over on the Z Club of UK forum earlier today after seeing the underneath photos that I just uploaded this morning. Must be something about Z car experiences in the UK that sets up the alarms mentioned.

Because I part out lots of Z in California, I get to observe the condition of a lot of s30 bodies from underneath and after I cut them in two. From my point of view, what matters underneath before building a show (not restoration) or performance car on top is not cosmetics so much as metal and structural integrity.

S30 bodies usually look pretty ugly and beat up from underneath, but if the body has no serious body rust nor cancer, but merely lots of banged up rail and pan bottoms, I don't think it matters much to a lot of custom builders, at least in my area of California, whether they go to the expense to pound everything out for cosmetic effect and spiff it up for the camera or not.

However, when it comes to "back to original" restoration projects, that's another philosopy and approach all together.

SLEEK Z

SLEEK Z,

Surely you should not be surprised to receive replies on the other websites where you are posting the same links and comments? I've seen the same thing on four websites - and that's only the ones that I peruse ( maybe there are more? ).

You should watch out for anybody who calls themselves "Albrecht" anyway; they are sure to be an idiot! ROFL

I think ( from my perspective anyway ) that you might be in danger of over-hyping this car. Perhaps you will not agree, but as far as I am concerned your description of the car and the way that you have 'spread the word' across the Z-related web sites over the last few days has been somewhat hyberbolic. Its a fantastic engineering achievement, and I take my hat off to Komiya san, but I DO think its underside appearance lets it down a little. Its clear that he started off with a bodyshell that had had the usual hard life of a 30-odd year old car, but I'm surprised that he did not have the underbody straightened out a little more ( especially as the pictures show the car up on stands at a car show ).

I'm not talking about pure cosmetics here. My eye ( perhaps mistakenly ) sees welding and repairs to the underbody that look fairly old. If I was building a car like this I don't think I would necessarily want to trust what previous owners had thought was good enough in that department. Maybe just as importantly, I would not want anyone to make a mistake and come to the conclusion that the underbody was something I had not investigated fully and made sure that it was structurally sound and within tolerance. When you put your car up on stands like that, and people take photos that spread all over the web, then perhaps it promotes unfair scrutiny and the possibility of people picking fault with your hard work.

It makes me wonder what the situation was with regard to the planning and building of the project. Did Komiya san do the work himself, or did he plan the project himself and then have the work undertaken at a pro shop ( RISING? ). No doubt you will be asking this kind of question to Komiya san in the near future.

Many of the first-generation Z cars over here in the UK have been poorly repaired in the past - so I'm used to seeing welded repairs. Indeed, its sometimes possible to see cars with patches welded on top of patches! :stupid: I agree that structural integrity is more important than cosmetics when it comes to the body, and I have nothing against properly-executed repairs ( read: SAFE and STRAIGHT ) even when they are not beautiful. Personally speaking ( I consider myself NOT to be what you might call a "purist" ) I prefer to see good engineering rather than "show" finishes ( I believe some call that "bling" in your part of the world ) rather like you might see on an old race car or aircraft. However, I certainly appreciate fine skill and understand just what kind of work goes into a great paint job. In my opinion, Komiya san's car seems to display a bit of both. If it wasn't being promoted so strongly then I might not feel it necessary to point out any perceived fault.

With regard to your website, UK-based Z owner Paul Henley's efforts to repair and restore his car properly are very commendable, and he has my admiration and respect. I certainly would not want you to think that I thought otherwise. Surely you know that? I have no idea what Paul plans for his car, and as its his car he can do what he likes. I certainly don't think its a good idea to try and draw some kind of imaginary line between "restorers" and "modifiers", as to my mind they have much more in common than they have differences. There's a huge grey area in between and I think people like myself are in that grey area. What is most important is integrity in engineering and practice. Everything else is just a matter of taste. Taste is subjective, and subjectivity is subjective - so it ends up as philosophy anyway!

When you posted your links and comments about this car on the websites, you did expect that not everybody might agree with you about the car didn't you? Surely you don't just expect everybody to ignore certain points of the car? I think I'm making fair comment, and its certainly not with the intention of showing disrespect to the builder / owner. If I was standing in front of the car with Komiya san I think I might ask him about the points I am making on the car's underbody appearance, but also compliment him on the amazing overall job. I don't think that would be rude.

Maybe my inner Robbie The Robot shouts "warning, danger!" whenever a commercial concern makes one of these kinds of posts with links to their website. In many respects SLEEK Z = zparts.com doesn't it? I'm sure you are not using this kind of post as 'bait' or 'advertorial' are you? Its a fine line and I'm sure its difficult to tread.

Respectfully,

Alan Thomas.

London, UK.

Originally posted by HS30-H

When you posted your links and comments about this car on the websites, you did expect that not everybody might agree with you about the car didn't you? Surely you don't just expect everybody to ignore certain points of the car? I think I'm making fair comment, and its certainly not with the intention of showing disrespect to the builder / owner. If I was standing in front of the car with Komiya san I think I might ask him about the points I am making on the car's underbody appearance, but also compliment him on the amazing overall job. I don't think that would be rude.

Maybe my inner Robbie The Robot shouts "warning, danger!" whenever a commercial concern makes one of these kinds of posts with links to their website. In many respects SLEEK Z = zparts.com doesn't it? I'm sure you are not using this kind of post as 'bait' or 'advertorial' are you? Its a fine line and I'm sure its difficult to tread.

Respectfully,

Alan Thomas.

London, UK.

LOL....... Alan several of us have been talking about this part already . Seems

this has happened before :)

Alan it's much easier to click on Direct URL's that to search an Entire site.

I've been flowing Komiya san's Project on Zparts.com for quite some time. I would love to read a complete write up from start to finish. With enough evidence for a fellow Zer to undertake the same project.

According to car-parts.com you can buy a Q45 engine and all accessories for 3,000...Sounds like feasible plan for a guy who's got the accessibility to fabricate everything.......

Personally I would much rather have a 1995 VG30DETT under my hood.

Having said all that

WOW

BEAUTY are the only words.

-Brandon

Looks good, imagine it would go . Underneath a bit rough , who cares, looked solid

if not used on track no problem.

Posted on several sites I guess if you have a Z related business and have a project that is of interest to Z owners post (if moderators don't like they will delete)

Nick

• 3 months later...

Well I just had to jump in on this one! Very very cool Z, first off! One additional little detail to point out about the underside photos...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the oils pan look mighty low. From what I can see, it looks to be lower than the front cross-member. Here is a possible sinerio...take one lowered Z car, add an engine with the oil pan lower than the front cross-member, hit one really good bump in the road (by accident of course) and you will have something akin to the Valdez oil spill. OK, maybe he drives the Z on a billiards table or something of the sort. Next item on the modification agenda......Modifiy Oil Pan for better ground clearance!!!! Or maybe spend some real $$$ and go the route of a dry sump system....ya, that's it!!!

Just my two cents worth.

I would be less concerned about the oil pan and more concerned about the fact that that kind of power in this 30+ year old HYBRID Z would soon twist it into a pretzel. Why revive this thread? :ermm:

i imagine thats what the roll cage is for.

Stephen,

Come on, you know you want one of those engines..........don't you!!!

Seriously, I have to agree with you, but hey not everyone is the total detail guy...obviously. As you well know, there are lots of cars that at first glance appears to be this awsome car, but once you really take a closer look, like under the car and else where, and see that all the little detail items that make a real nice car awsome, have either been over looked, are so so, or just look like crap. (Out of sight, out of mind) And of course there is the photo factor! Photos certainly do hide alot of little stuff. One thing is for certain.....this guy is going to go through alot of rear tires. Shoot, it's hard enough to get 300 HP to hook up with these light wieght cars....wouldn't you agree?

Stephen,

Come on, you know you want one of those engines..........don't you!!!

I've actually had one of those engines. Lots of power drank too much gas. We sold the Q45 to my daughter about 4 years ago and her mother in law totalled it. I would hope that with twin turbos he's getting more than 300 HP.

post-3797-14150794074327_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...