IGNORED

GRM 240Z vs 350Z comparo

2ManyZs

I respect the 350Z as an effective assemblege of current technology, and a great value relative to what is out there, but my first reaction to seeing one was-who stuck the Z badges on that Audi? I am serious, I posed that question to a friend the first time I saw one!

It does follow the Z tradition in marketing, but that is the only connection I can find. Is a great car, just not a great car for me!

Will

BTW, if a 240z was perfect, we wouldn't be changing things, would we?

No, but they let the marketing department have free reign with what went into the car to keep up with the market.

Such as the navigation system in a "Track" model. If you are going to call it a Track model, it should have only the "go-fast" goodies, without all the "fluff". Heated seats, mirrors, nav system etc, should be on the Touring model and maybe optional on the Enthusiast.

Kinda like what Chevrolet did with the Z06 model, only what it needed for it to be the best that it can be. You've got one model that has all the "high tech" they can offer, and one that is made for the true enthusiasts and racers.

Now, if it looked more some of the early concept drawings, we all would like it a lot better.

Originally posted by threefittyzee

So what you're saying, is...

you guys would have been happier if Datsun would have just discontinued the Z after...oh, i dunno....1970-something-or-other?

Personally, yep, if they had called the 280ZX and the rest of the "fatladies" by a different name, that'd be nice. Although, it's not so much about the name, as the way Nissan advertises them, harking back on their previous success with OUR car.

It's the way Nissan tries to get the best of both worlds in promoting the 350Z. Saying on one hand that it is a futuristic car made to revolutionise the sports car market, and on the other, saying it is an evolution of the timeless 240Z, with "elements of Z-ness". That marketing department sure knows how to be vague and romantic.

There has to be a new sports car out there that you guys like. I have not driven many new sports cars so I cannot tell you how they drive, but I have sat in many. hehehehe. Many of the things that everyone here has said I have agreed with, but a good thing about the 350z is that is carrying on the name of our cars, "Z." Some of you may not think that it is anything like the S30, and I agree with you, but having the 350z and Z's to come is a way to keep the history alive(or dead for some) because many people have 350's and are becoming fans of the S30. About a year ago I saw two 350z's driving on the freeway and I got a thumbs up from them. I must admit, I like the 350(am I hearing boo's and hiss's??), and when they gave me thumbs up I was thrilled that they were interested in the old Z's. They got a thumbs up and a trailing old school Z for about 10 miles. If I was in the market for a new car I don't know if I would consider a 350z, but a few new cars that I think I would consider are the Honda S2000, the Lancer Evolution(Evolution RS for tomohawk as it has no amentities whatsoever), the Subaru STI, the Jetta VR6, a Works Mini, and probably a lot of other cars. I like way to many cars, but my 260Z is dearest to my heart. Take care guys.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

No, but they let the marketing department have free reign with what went into the car to keep up with the market.

Such as the navigation system in a "Track" model. If you are going to call it a Track model, it should have only the "go-fast" goodies, without all the "fluff". Heated seats, mirrors, nav system etc, should be on the Touring model and maybe optional on the Enthusiast.

Kinda like what Chevrolet did with the Z06 model, only what it needed for it to be the best that it can be. You've got one model that has all the "high tech" they can offer, and one that is made for the true enthusiasts and racers.

Now, if it looked more some of the early concept drawings, we all would like it a lot better.

Actually, the Track model doesn't come with nav, or leather/heated seats. Only the Touring model does(and as options on the other trim models).

The Track is the bare-bones, no-frills 350.

I have nothing against the the 350z. It is a great car that has been designed very well for the American market.

Personally I would have liked the 350z to have been a smaller leaner and more nimble car with a smaller more spirited engine.

I think the first gen miata or the s2000 were the last of the no gimicks all out sportscars ever made. for this reason i would probably never buy a 300zx or a 350z(x).

Then again, Nissan obviously did not design this car to attract my demographic.

If i was looking for a similar car to the 350z I would probably buy the G35 coupe as I feel it fits the niche better.

Ahmed

It is already an option on the Next years 350Z along with a TV/DVD player-(with wireless HBO, Cinemax, BET, Style, Stars, Spike, SciFi-and more), Aroma Therapy, electricly adjustable steering wheel, Back Massage, Lighted sunroof, heated air conditioning controls, chilled cup-holders, micro brewery(it only dispenses when parked), built in driver, and built in date! There is more, but You will just have to go by the dealer and get the Marketing kit!

Will