Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    4
  • comments
    0
  • views
    1,877

About this blog

Complete restoration of my 1972 240z. I will document my progress as I attempt to restore the Z in my garage as time permits, with little experience and less skill!

Entries in this blog

 

Entry 4 Interior Removal

Back at it this past weekend after some much needed vacation!  I removed the rear bumper, fuel expansion tank, and the interior.  I had some help from my better half.  We spent about 4 hours Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday.  I started with the rear bumper.  The original bumper has hole in the middle of the top, from what I presume was a hitch. The back side of the bumper has a good bit of rust.  These two issues probably add up to a new bumper. Ouch! Next was removal of the fuel expansion ta

CaseyByrd72

CaseyByrd72

 

Entry 3 Begin Exterior Teardown

This weekend I worked on starting the exterior teardown.  I started with the rear finisher around the tail lights.  This revealed more rust damage than what I expected.  I knew the hatch sill would need to be replaced but now it seams like there is deeper damage. I will be able to determine the extent only after the sill is removed.  I was also able to remove the hood cowl, wiper assembly and the front fenders.  The first fender took a lot longer than anticipated.  This was because the guide I'm

CaseyByrd72

CaseyByrd72

 

Entry 2 Engine Bay and Fuel Tank

I continued removing hoses and the wiring harness from the engine bay. I labeled all the wires with duct tape and a sharpie. Also removed the gas tank. Other than 44 years of dirt and a small dent, it is in really good shape.  I spent a total of about 4 hours working on it this weekend. No money spent this week, but I have started looking at the complete stainless steel  hardware replacement kits.  Looks like they run about $300, and for that price, well worth the convenience and quality upgrade

CaseyByrd72

CaseyByrd72

 

Entry 1 Engine accessory removal

I will be restoring my 72z back to "near original" condition. I will utilize all original equipment that can be reused and replace what can't with new. I am not overly concerned with originality, especially if it is expensive.  I have set a budget of $7,700, and must include some tools, but I will document that as I go.   I will be utilizing two primary resources as guides for the process; How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car by Wick Humble and of course, the Haynes manual. I began last we

CaseyByrd72

CaseyByrd72

Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.