Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
  • comments
  • views

Entry 3 Begin Exterior Teardown

Sign in to follow this  


This weekend I worked on starting the exterior teardown.  I started with the rear finisher around the tail lights.  This revealed more rust damage than what I expected.  I knew the hatch sill would need to be replaced but now it seams like there is deeper damage. I will be able to determine the extent only after the sill is removed.  I was also able to remove the hood cowl, wiper assembly and the front fenders.  The first fender took a lot longer than anticipated.  This was because the guide I'm using directed me to remove the top inner fender bolts, one near the rocker panel, and one in the door jamb.  What it didn't tell me is that there are two near the rocker panel, seven along the top inner fender, two joining the front of the fender to the corner valance panel, and three behind the headlight.  Only three broken bolt heads from both fenders.  Not bad considering it appears all of them are originals! Once the fenders were removed and the areas were cleaned up, everything looked solid, which is amazing considering how much debris was accumulated there. I spent 5 hours working on the Z and no money spent. I'm still shooting for April 2nd to have everything off of the uni-body and I still feel good about that goal.  Thanks for reading.















Sign in to follow this  


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Blog Statistics

    • Total Blogs
    • Total Entries
  • Blog Comments

    • It only takes 6 years... finally, I can test drive my car 😍    
    • Look at the VTO offerings. I have the wheels in 16x8 +3 (off of a 72 240Z that was parted) and they will fit fine on my 76 280Z. The 73 did not have coilovers.
    • Guest
      Mike, I'm looking for advice.  I have a 78 280z and i would like to put 16x8 inch wheels.  Is this possible and should the offset remain at 0?  I've been trying to get a set of Rewind or banana mags and can't seem to find the right set.  Thanks for any help you can give me.  Mark
    • I agree. We have some great members. @Mike Just remember "Imitation is the sincerest form of flatter". I have a similar yellow and the same bullet mirrors. I love the Rota's on your car although my bumpers will be pure chrome. No strips... It looks great!!!
    • Thanks for the pics, Mike. This site helped me in so many ways. I met people from all over the world and visited a few in New Zealand. The Zed is a unique car. There is actually none like it for the affordable enjoyment. I had one back in '74. Traded it for a 3/4 ton 4X4 Chevy p/u when I moved to the mountains. But I never forgot the excitement and love I had for that first car. In 2005 I bought another one and made it mine with new parts, paint, upholstery, etc. My wife calls it the "acceptable
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.