IGNORED

1978 Radiator

Starfox

Well, I just received that dreaded call from my local radiator shop. They pressured my radiator up and it has multiple cracks throughout the upper and lower tanks. So it is now scarp metal.

I am curious about the radiators you see for sale on Ebay. The radiators seem very reasonable price wise, but will they bolt up correctly and what kind of quality are they?

Anyone out there have any experience with these aftermarket radiators ? I provided some links to kind of show what I am looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-4-ROWS-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-FOR-1975-1978-DATSUN-280Z-FAIRLADY-Z-S130-L28-N-/322768814567?fits=Year%3A1978|Make%3ADatsun|Model%3A280Z&hash=item4b268541e7:g:ZqoAAOSw5UZZADbH&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-4-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-For-1976-1977-1978-NISSAN-DATSUN-280Z-LOCAL-SHIP-/292261880901?fits=Year%3A1978|Make%3ADatsun|Model%3A280Z&hash=item440c2a6445:g:-b8AAOSwONBZESOO&vxp=mtr

IMG_1055[1].JPG

I bought a plain old parts store replacement radiator from OReilly auto.  The mounting holes and flanges needed minor adjustment but everything else fit and it works great.  I think that almost all of the steel replacement radiators are made at the same factory in China, and just have different names on them.  That's probably the cheapest route, and if there's a problem you can just drive to the store and get a replacement.

Yea, I think that is the safer bet too, you can look at what your buy before leaving the store.

I just called Autozone and a new one is $179.99 (Advanced Auto $248.00+12.00 shipping fee). So that is the plan moving forward.

I find it easy to get caught up in all of the online Z stores and Ebay listings and forget to just check with local suppliers lol!

Thanks, Zed Head!

I bought one from advance for a little over $100 a couple of years ago, I wonder why they went up so much? Anyway go to retailmenot.com and look at advances coupon codes. You can get 30% off anything in the store. I use them weekly it seems like. :)

When I bought mine they had free shipping to my house. Brass and aluminum 3 row, great radiator. Like Zed Head said I had to knock off a couple of mounting tabs and put a bolt in the bottom mounted plastic drain. That was a "not when but how soon" problem knocking it off.

Carquest I think was the make. I'm on my phone now but in the morning I can look up the order and get a part number. I know for sure it wasn't more than $150.

BTw I talked to a guy with Napa Auto parts today, and I'm I think they have a couple of OEM radiators for around 365$ (not for me price wise) , but those of you who want that complete car.  it is a Nissan radiator and the flanges match.. I really think they have a couple of gems !

Seems like Advance doesn't offer that radiator anymore.  I can find it on their new web page, which sucks arse in my opinion, but I can't add it to "MY CART" without an ERROR message???

rockauto.com has one for $161 plus shipping.  Good luck on your search, my Zs are held together with old paychecks. :D

I have a Champion aluminium 4row. The electric fans must be used for clearance but I wanted those anyway. The connecting points line up perfectly but the fans basically attach with wire ties unless you figure out some other connecting method, which I will. Still about 8 months before going back on the road at this point. I like the build quality though.

Edited by esmit208
Grammar

On 9/22/2017 at 10:12 PM, Starfox said:

Thank you guys! I am restoring my car paycheck to paycheck so every thing helps!

I'm eating from paycheck to paycheck! OH GOD, I'M SO HUNGRY! WILL MY CAR EVER BE FINISHED? WILL I EVER EAT STEAK AGAIN? Oh the pain!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used one from advance about 7 years ago.  The prices have gone up quite a bit (for all radiators, it seems).  

It mostly fit in place, had to massage it a little.  Mine is an auto, and I really like how the Z's used rubber hose instead of the flared metal lines for the trans cooler.  Those things are hard to line up and easy to cross thread.

Only downside is the petcock drain is on the bottom of the radiator, as opposed to on the side.  It kind of rubs against the skid plate.