IGNORED

Map Light

Dave WM

My map light was intermittent, the on the dash not the roof. I popped for a used one off ebay, guy says is does not work, I tried it and seemed fine. Anyway it had the wrong connector, but my parts stash turned up some new pins and the plastic shell I needed so off with the old and on with the correct. All good now.

But I decided I need to understand the issue so now that I have a working light I felt ok to try and fix my old one. I was concerned that it may break upon disassembly, but it was no big deal. Lesson learned

disassemble and re assemble with it in the "ON" position, just seemed to work better. Don't loose the little bearings (plastic pivot points). they will fall out and roll away.

the "switch" is just a couple copper contacts on either side of the housing, very flexible soft copper, I cleaned them, but don't really think that is the issue. What seems to be the issue is there copper contacts mounted on the ENDS of the light bar. they mirror the plastic but need to stand proud of it just a bit. on mine it seemed like on had shifted just enough for the profile of the plastic to be even with the copper. when this happens the contact become unreliable. I was able to pick at the copper bar mounted to the side and pull it back proud of the plastic. that fixed it. I suspect this is supposed to me a friction fit, I could see evidence of a solder iron used to trap the copper sides in the slot of the light bar. So I assume its inserted during assy, and then sealed in with the iron melting a bit of the plastic. A more permanent fixation may be to use a tiny bit of wicking glue, but I don't know if there would be a good bond due to dirt/oil etc not to mention the plastic and metal. For now it works and I will just keep it as a spare. The soft copper that is mounted in the housing does not have any fixation method really it just sort of floats. I suppose there is no need as the plastic light bar hole it in place by copper when on and by plastic when off.

Bottom line they can be fixed, just use a thin blade to pry open just enough to slip the pivot out, and don't lose it.