IGNORED

For sale: 1976 Datsun 260Z 2-seater

Murph

It hasn’t been an easy decision to make, but it is time for my zed car to move on to a new owner.

This is a good, honest, well looked after example of a 2 seater 260Z. It’s generally fairly original, but with a few nice modifications in the right places. While it’s certainly not a concourse example, it really is a pretty neat. The fact the car has never had a complete restoration is a testament to how well this car has been looked after over its lifetime. I have owned it for about 5 years now and have about 20 years of documented history. For me, it’s just been a fun road car that looks great, drives really well and everything just works.

1976 260Z 2 seater. Odometer reads 89,434. I’d say 189,434 given the neat, unrestored condition, but you never know.
Fairly original, matching numbers L26, runs strong but it is getting a little tired. It’s still got a good few years in it though.
Extractors and a clever twin exhaust system with the pipes exiting behind the rear wheels, eliminating the exhaust fume in cabin issue. It has a really nice sound too.
Electronic ignition.
Original 260Z gearbox rebuilt with brass synchro conversion buy Stewart Wilkins Motorsport
Original 260Z R200 rebuilt with DR30 Skyline LSD by Stewart Wilkins Motorsport. Nice and tight, but well behaved.
Large aftermarket radiator, big thermo, custom ducting, never overheats
Four piston brake upgrade on the front using Hilux callipers, disc conversion on the rear using Z31 hubs and rotors and R32 callipers, 1 1/8” master cylinder.
The suspension is a bit of a mix and match, but works well. King springs, Koni adjustable shocks in the rear and Pedders non adjustable in the front.
Lower control arm spacers on the front.
Front strut brace.
Bushings are a mix of polyurethane and rubber.
Wheels are Konig Rewind 15x7”, 0 offset, with ~1000km old Toyo Proxes T1Rs.
Clutch is a Heavy Duty Exedy
Basic Kenwood stereo.
Brand new battery

Most mechanicals in the car were rebuilt or replaced between ’07 and ’08, e.g. alternator, clutch master/slave, brake master/slave, suspension bushings, clutch, diff, gearbox, ball joints, brakes, suspension, 

Body: Aside from a few little dings (top of left front 1/4, chip on RH rear wheel arch lip, small indentation in the bonnet from the strut brace) it’s very straight with no bog and no crash damage. The paint job is “decent” in my opinion. Looks great up close, but does have a few defects if you want to be picky. There is one prior rust repair under the battery box. There are three minor rust issues worth mentioning.
- Lower left corner of the rear hatch glass seal has a little leak with a few small bubbles showing on the inside of the hatch. The seal is on order and this is an easy fix.
- Front upper edge of drivers door has a small crack (now rusting) along the seam. Easy fix.
- I did find a small amount of rust on the sill behind the left hand front 1/4 panel. There are a few small holes that have rusted through from the outside due to debris that’s collected between the panels. The 1/4 panel itself is perfect. The sill has been treated and sealed over. The rust won’t progress and there’s no structural issue, so in my opinion there is no urgency for any metal work there.
Everything else I’ve seen is immaculate, including the right had sills, floor pan, chassis rails, spare wheel well, back of the roof and back of the hatch.

The interior is all very original and in very good condition for its age, but does show a little wear and tear in places. Dash is perfect (re-skinned in ’95). Switch gear is all perfect. In fact everything works very well.

Things that need doing:
- I’m part way through the job of cleaning up and repainting around the hatch seals (all internal)
- The hand brake doesn’t work well. Likely an adjustment issue.
- The chokes could be setup a little better
- The drivers window needs a little nudge as you wind it up to slot into the seal correctly
- The drivers side door lock needs adjusting
- Paint chip on right rear wheel lip needs fixing

That’s about it. I’ve told it like it is with no sugar coating. 
$27,500. Keen? Give me a call. 0407891755.
The car is located in East Brisbane
No swaps, no low balls.

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7473.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg