IGNORED

Series-1 Hatch Vent Duct Clips & Restoration Info Needed

Hardway

In an effort to rid my car of exhaust fumes coming in I disassembled just about everything related to the hatch vent system and removed the taillight trim panel to see what the taillight gaskets looked like.  The TL gaskets are shot so I will be ordering new gaskets for them.  The hatch vents were removed at some point in the car's history and re-installed using rivets which has bugged be ever since I bought it.  With everything apart I realize I am missing the U-shaped clips that hold they hatch ducts against the body and the barrel clips the actually hold the chrome vent grilles.  I have a good idea what the U-shape clips look like but need some measurements if anyone has one sitting around.  Additionally, can someone confirm the order in which everything goes together?  I think the ducts are installed in the hatch with their proper seals, the U-clip goes over the inside edge to hold it in place.  Does barrel clip go through the U-clip and in to the hatch sheet metal or some other way?  

On the hatch duct work, my semi-rigid seals are salvageable but the foam gaskets are pretty much gone.  I was planning to use some 3/8 self adhesive foam weather stripping to make a new seal.  Are new ones available?  If not, do you have a better idea than I have?

Need to look at the rubber flaps on the inner hatch panel, I don't think they are thick enough.  I will also seal the edge of the panel before I re-install it.

Flaps02.jpg

The offending rivets holding the hatch vents in place.  I already have new ones but debating on re-using some old ones I have since I plan to paint the car and would like to save my new ones for that.

Vents001.jpg

Vents01.jpg

VentDucts01.jpg

Pictures from Jim Arnett on the CT Z Car forums.

HatchGrill1.jpg

HatchGrill7.jpg

Taillight panel off.  Looks like it has never been off the car.  Luckily there appears to be zero damage from contact or rust.

Taillights01.jpg

• Like 3

Home for lunch so no time at the moment, but I will post up tonight with measurements and additional photos.

Steve Nixon has reproduced the hatch vent rain deflectors that I sent him and offers them for sale on his website.

I think you should really replace yours, as they appear to be as deteriorated as most I have seen. The curvature of the deflector to channel and divert water flow is quite important at these hatch openings.

Jim D.

"Zup"

• Like 1

Thank you Zup.  I look forward to the pics of the clips.  I see the gaskets on Steve's site.  $75/pair.  Looks like I will be purchasing a set.  I will also ask him if he makes the clips or plans to as it would be good to know.  

As Jim @jfa.series1    said above, the clips hold the entire assembly including the hatch trims to the hatch and position it properly. The barrel clips that are commonly used to mount the emblems are attached to the trim pins and inserted into the smaller holes of the clips after the ductwork/diverter assembly has been installed onto the hatch.

Here are photos of the clips I have intended for my 7/70 and additional photos of the diverters, where you can make out the curved profile.

IMG_4045.JPGIMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

Also, a photo of a quick tracing of the clip with associated dimensions in MM.

IMG_0459.JPG

My ductwork assemblies are in storage across town, so I won't be able to add them to this topic until the coming weekend.

I'll photo the assembly and post to this thread, as it would be a good bit easier to understand than these ramblings.

As I said, Steve Nixon  @nix240z makes these diverters now, and he would certainly be the one to reproduce the clips (maybe in stainless) 

The originals were made of spring steel to ensure that they would fit tightly, even after the frustrating hassle of spreading them while mounting the assembly to the hatch.

Jim D.

"Zup"

IMG_4005.JPG

• Like 2

You are the best Zup!  Thank you so much for posting all of this.  I checked with Steve and he confirmed he does not have the clips at this time.  I am not sure what the demand is for them either but making a set of scratch with your detailed drawings should be do-able.  

The air diverter seals do not have any foam on top from Steve but I can tell there was a thin layer of foam on mine (at least what is left of it)  I can see the pros and cons of this.  Do you think I should add a layer of foam to the air diverter seals or just install them as-is new?

I hope Steve re-pops them---- they would be identical to original and perfect. Anyone who is restoring an early car would need them, and many of us do not have the skills you have shown for fabrication.

I am planning on using 2mm closed cell foam sheeting cut to the shape of the diverter and placed between it and the underside of the hatch.

(use contact cement to attach it to the diverter first)

You can get the foam sheeting at Walmart or any crafts store. Usually found over near school supplies or sewing.

This weekend I'll post photos of the assembly before installation.

• Like 1

I did this a few years ago using all new hardware from MSA and trying my best to make it a good seal. But, to be honest, I never got rid of the exhaust fumes and I was worried about water getting in. Maybe you will be more successful, but just in case I'll show you what I did, which was to fabricate a couple stainless steel plates and glue them over the vent holes with silicone. I can always remove them if I want as I have the original and the replacement hardware, but no more smell. I'll attach a picture so you can get an idea. I also added some text, the left one says "1971" and the right one "Datsun 240Z" (I used a font called " KaiTi" which seemed to match OK)...this is so people are less likely to ask me if it's a Porsche ;-O .

(BTW, I know this means the cabin doesn't "breathe," but I haven't noticed any real consequences of this.)

EDIT: I will also add the file I used for the plates.

13243699_1030088880406018_5054353470441528083_o--for online.jpg

Hatch Covers.pdf

Edited by z boy mn

Steve informed me he does not make or have the clips at this time.  I went ahead and order my seals from him so those are on the way.  Looks like we are on our own for clips.  I found Blue's post below.  He observed that there were two different width clips on his car.  I am unsure if this is isolated to his car or if all cars were this way and it has not been obvious to those who have encountered them.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/41029-hatch-vent-trim-installation/