IGNORED

280z 5 speed shifter question

charliekwin

I have a 78 with a 5 speed and a mystery shifter.  It has Maxima shifter bushings, a 300zx boot and knob, and seems to be cut and/or bent out of its natural shape.  I'm looking to replace it with something that'll work like the stock one.

Finding a shifter (any shifter!) is surprisingly difficult, so I want to make sure I'm casting the widest net possible.  I know the early 240 had a different transmission, and that one won't work.  I *think* the 280's 4 speed shifter will also work with the 5 speed.  Is that correct?

EDIT: I see now you're talking about the shifter only, my mistake.  You could still look through that link and see the straight shifter years and the curved ones too.  Good luck.

There's tons of info on different trannies for our cars.  The different locations of the speedo cable and the reverse lights switch is the easiest way I've seen.  The Z cars had theirs then the later ZX had a good one, 240SX has one that will fit and the Maxima 5sp would work I guess, don't know for sure on that.

Here's what I've been reading lately, it has information on the different types and a lot of pictures.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

Edited by siteunseen

I had the stock 4 speed in my 76 when I got it, then installed a 78 5 speed, then an 83 5 speed, and finally an 80 5 speed, and I used the same shift lever in all of them.  The 76 and 78 levers were the same shape and throw (length of the little knobbed arm at the bottom).

If by "Maxima bushings" you mean the spring loaded contraption that allows the lever to move up and down, those were used on the 280ZX cars also.  I think I posted something about the Maxima in the past, but most people know those from the ZX.  It seems to change the throw during the shifting motion, but doesn't seem to be necessary.  You should be able to install the simple 4 speed lever and be fine.  

Probably late 74 to 1978 would be like the stock 78 lever.  Maybe 71 to 78.  I don't know that Nissan would have needed to make any changes over the years, besides very minor ones, since the bodies are essentially the same shape.

Edit - here's the page site was referring to (you'll have to blow it up.  Tiny pictures).  Looks like 72-78 are the years.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks guys, all the pictures I've seen indicates that the levers are interchangeable, but even with all the info that's out there, it's been hard to find a definitive "yes it'll work."  There's a 4 speed shifter on ebay right now that's a little pricey at $55, but they don't show up often, so I think I'm gonna grab that.

I'm looking to replace it with something that'll work like the stock one.

Curious, what is the current shift lever not doing?  Is it just an odd angle?

Here's one thing that people do to the stock levers, apparently.  Seems like a lot of money for a cut, a weld, and some grindng, but it's there.  Not recommending, just showing.

http://www.datsunstore.com/shifters-shortened-throw-p-1790.html

I have both a short nose and a long nose shifter for 72 - 78 Z.

I can sell you either one. Most are not aware of these two shifters.

Let me know which you prefer.

I've seen them but it's not been clear which went where or where they came from.  Care to share?  By nose, you mean the lever at the bottom, with the ball on the end, correct?

I've seen them but it's not been clear which went where or where they came from.  Care to share?  By nose, you mean the lever at the bottom, with the ball on the end, correct?

Yes the longer bottom end.

I too am not clear which Z had the long nose.