IGNORED

Msa Header Quality - Is This The Norm?

ksbeta

Good morning.

This is the first new header I've ever bought or inspected. I supposed I was expecting better build quality, having seen the ones that are on my current cars. Is this normal? My current problem is an exhaust leak at the flange; this doesn't inspire confidence that I won't have the same issue with this set. 

Thanks for the $.02. As always, if anyone knows a suitable alternative. The Stahl site says these folks bought their equipment, but they don't answer the phone or return calls: 

Datsun 240/260/280Z headers will be offered by:
ProFab
Aurora, OR
503-678-2948

post-20739-0-06596300-1421764954_thumb.j post-20739-0-14260500-1421764961_thumb.j
post-20739-0-32250200-1421764968_thumb.j post-20739-0-51662000-1421764976_thumb.j
post-20739-0-95505600-1421764982_thumb.j

Generally I've been impressed with the MSA headers I've seen in the last few years.  Build quality is great, flange is nice and thick.

As long as the weld on the OUTSIDE to the flange is ok, these gaps will not cause a leak.

I'd go around each port with a ball peen hammer and make that tube fit over to the flange better to maximum flow area, and make sure it does NOT stick up past the flange at all anywhere.

As long as the flange thickness is the same as a stock flange so those fat washers fit evenly and distribute pressure correctly, it will be fine.

• Like 1

i bought a 6-1 from them - silver ceramic coated - and was very impressed with the build quality. all tidy and smooth, and the silver coating shows every imperfection.

i agree w/zKars tho, as the tubes are sealed to the flange with the weld on the outside and the inside is just a clearance fit. i also agree with doing a little clean-up on the inside, but be very careful not to peen over the metal and disturb the nicely decked flange sealing surface. you might use a piece of 1" round bar or pipe - insert into the hole and hit the bar/pipe with a hammer to do the work so you don't risk a mis-hit with the hammer and ding the flange. then go around the internal edges with a rats-tail file and clean up, bevel out a bit.

of course that's all pretty high-level flow improvement, not sure if it would make a noticeable difference on the street - but it might make you feel better! 

Bill - Last spring I ordered a ceramic coated 6-into-1 header from MSA. Initially I was concerned as the flange was not completely flat (curved outwards at the ends). After calling MSA and doing some research, I decided to give the header a shot. Below are the instructions I received from MSA.

"The way you determine if the header flange is warped is to place a straight across the whole flange. Balance the straight edge on the center of the flange, then measure the gap at each end. Up to 1/8" gap on each end is fine. Just make sure you torque the header for the center out. You shouldn’t have any exhaust leak issues."

As my header was within an 1/8" gap at either end, I installed it and have not had any leaks.

Cheers,

My 6 into 1 ceramic header looked the same as your paintable one, with the gaps on the cylinder head side.  They can't weld the flat side so I used a strong Mag-lite in a dark room to check for any possible leak areas.  None found and it has been a great header, so far.   :)

My only problem was when they shipped the first one the runners popped through the cardboard and got scratched all to hell.  The 2nd one they sent was perfect.  Maybe they started boxing stuff up better?  I hope so!

Siteunseen, its interesting for you to note that MSA has STILL not solved their shipping quality issues. The very first header I bought from them, oh, 5-6 years ago (longer?), and a couple since, have ALL been more or less tossed in a box loose and have arrived with some degree or other of shipping damage. Yes they always made it right when I brought this up with them, but you'd think by now something would have clicked....