gealicpride's Content - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

gealicpride

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by gealicpride

  1. Hey guys. Can anyone local (Maryland?) suggest a good machine shop?? I'm hesitant to just "pick one" out of the Yellow pages. Thanks!
  2. I'm considering buying a 1982 280ZX that is, obviously, going to need some work. It was purchased off ebay in June, the buyer had a fender bender in July and traded the ZX + cash to a guy in N. Virginia for a 280Z that he had. All the replacement parts to fix the fender bender are there.....fender, headlight bucket, bumper trim, etc. The car will also come with 2 new seats and the full carpet kit. Am told it runs well (hence going to SEE the car for myself) but was told that it feels a little squirrelly when driven and that the right CV joint needs to be replaced. I thought that Z's didn't have CV Joints?? He swears it's the CV joints. Isn't it then possible that's it's the U joints?? What gets me is that he says the front end feels squirelly in turns. What on the front end could it be? Thanks guys!!
  3. when i had my 280ZX back in the late '80's i was going to borrow from Van Halen and do OU812IZ. the car didn't survive long enough....
  4. Thanks guys. I will try greasing but am also going to read the attached thread. I REALLY don't want to have to take the doors apart again but will probably have to in order to realign the windows anyways....
  5. OMG!!! If someone did that to my car....I'd kill 'em. Good luck with the repairs but by God make them pay for all of it! Won't pay to get it painted! That's your baby! It makes me mad just to hear what they did and won't own up to!
  6. I have researched some of the older posts and now know how to fix my drivers door lock BUT when I go to close the door it doesn't "catch". The door handle has never worked properly to open the door and feels almost frozen...no give when you pull on the handle so when you do pull... the door just pops open. I know that when you go to open the door from the inside it does something to that round piece on the inside of the door that is supposed to catch and keep the door closed. I used to be able to position that round piece so that if I didn't want the door to catch it wouldn't...now I can't undo that affect to have the door catch. If this makes sense to ANYONE and you know how I might fix this "little" annoyance I would be forever in your debt .
  7. gealicpride replied to Greg's topic in Help Me !!
    I just did that...losy my key! Thank God my finace had a spare that I had made and given to him . What I did find interesting is that the key from my 1979 280ZX, which I parted with when I was 19, will open the rear hatch and start the car but won't unlock the doors. It's actually kinda scary to think that any old Z key will start this car! Hell, the driver side door won't lock anyway so if someone REALLY wants in the car.............
  8. I knew at some point stands would be mentioned. I have ramps but no stands and the ramps don't give me enough clearance. I'm not afraid of my car but don't want to get crushed either trying to loosen that bolt. Then again it's parked facing out so if I get it jackeh high enough I might be able to place the ramps let her down and just shimmy under it from the front. Is there anything on the front of the car...any metal strong enough for me to jack it up?
  9. No life ins but I have REALLY good health ins and a recent tetnus shot :tapemouth . The car won that round too! I'll give it a try, all the other bolts are loosen it's just that one dreaded bolt!
  10. How far back on the car do the frame rails really go??
  11. They are rusted. Not badly rusted but rusted none the less. I just wasn't sure if that was the safest place to try the floor jack.
  12. Where is a good place on the front end of a Z to jack it up? I can't get to the bottom starter bolt from the top so figured if I jacked it up it'd be easier to get to. HELP!!!
  13. gealicpride replied to Zvoiture's topic in Polls
    Born and raised in Chevy Chase, MD. Have lived in Lanham, Laurel, Glen Burnie, Brooklyn Park and have settled in Gaithersburg, MD. Been here in G-burg for almost 7 years. Got around in Maryland but never left it :classic:
  14. Hello all. 1975 280Z $500. It ran rich and I was trying to figure it out until the clutch went out. The body isn't too bad off. Rust on the quarters and rear wheel wells but it drove sooooo nice. Decided to sell it and am now trying to figure out if I should just keep it fix it. I'm leaning towards keeping it
  15. Alright, alright. A friend has a digital camera. I'll see if she can't get a decent pic for me to post for y'all. In the meantime we're getting ready for some nasty weather (mother nature's idea of a joke) and the Z isn't weatherized yet!! :disappoin
  16. A volvo is not that bad!! I need something to drive every day....
  17. Geez....not all of us "girls" are that bad! My BF doesn't care if I want to work on the car (thank God) and actually helps from time to time. But, I guess, some of you have a point. We can be hell to live with but that's only because we usually enjoy quiet and structured. Of course when you're working on the Z and nothing seems to go right, nothing is quiet or structured, not when you have a wonderful Irish temper. That's when the tools start flying....
  18. 2Many...Would Olympic Auto Parts be a good place to get the parts or do you know of another place? Can I get the clutch alignment tool anywhere?
  19. Have I forgotten to mention lately how great you guys are?!? Thanks!!!!
  20. Thanks Jeff. Thank God I have all that as the Volvo, also, takes mostly metric...
  21. Thanks Dave. Will have to wait until tomorrow now...it's already getting dark!! I hate this time of year...not enough daylight to do all the things that you want to do with your car.....
  22. Thanks Victor. I am trying to find my repair book for the Z...it's in this house somewhere . Any special equipment needed to remove the tranny and replace the presure plate if not the all of the clutch components??
  23. I did a real quick check when I was sitting at the light but will go back out and take a much better look. If those look okay and it might be the pressure plate...is that hard to do yourself??
  24. Have a 1975 280Z. Decided to take it for a spin this afternoon. For starters it doesn't run that well but well enough for a low mileage spin. I have been trying to decipher problems and fix them as I go. Today I got about 2 miles from the house, got a bad feeling, turned the car around and headed home. Got to a red traffic light put the car in neutral and stopped. When the light turned green I went to put the car back in first and the shifter won't move. Had it towed home. With the engine off the car will go into all four gears and reverse but strated it won't go into any. Did I kill something??????????????
  25. Definitely need some advice. Have a 1975 280Z. Just got it running and then moved on to the headlights (they never worked). Got them working, took the car for a spin and all seemed well. Yesterday went to go to the store and the car was dead as a doornail. Went out today and noticed the clock was working again so I fired the car up and it was running good until I turned on the headlights to see if they still worked. Not 15 seconds after the lights were turned on the car just turned itself off. It proceeded to do this twice after sitting for about 15 minutes between stalls. Could it be the wiring, alternator, voltage regulator???? HELP!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.