IGNORED

wanted: engine compartment wire harness

Dreco

How hard would it be to make a wiring harness? I'm an electronics tech and I do wiring all day long. I was inspecting the harness on my car ( a 73 also) and It seems like it would be fairly simple. Our cars, being much older, do not have all the 'hard to find' or 'one-off' style connectors that newer cars have. I plan on re-doing all the wiring in my car myself using new (but not original) connectors. Newark Electronics sells a variety of connectors that would work. Sorry... kinda off the topic a bit, but has been on my mind alot lately. Thanks

-Keith

Now there is a man with CAHONES. It takes a patient and skilled person to do it, but have at it. If you need a refereance point let me know. I can take some pics of the harness that is apart for reference.

I would like to re-do some of the wiring in my car- I know there are others out there in worse shape than myself. If you build it, they will come.

Dan

It takes a patient and skilled person to do it, but have at it.

My idea is to use a MIL-C sealed connector (used heavily in the aerospace industry). The female part of the connector will mount directly to the firewall (in the engine bay). All wiring from the interior of the car, running to the engine bay, will be soldered to the backside. The wiring harness will be soldered onto the male end. With this setup you would merely have to disconnect the connector at the fire-wall and the harness would come right out. No need to cut wires or, for example, remove the wiring harness when pulling the engine. This type of application would primarily benefit a fuel injected car because they have much more intensive wiring than does a carbuerated engine.

The good thing about these connectors is that they are sealed when connected, can withstand heat and elements, and are lightweight. They also come in various sizes and some can accomodate 50+ wires.

Sorry for going off-topic!

-Keith