IGNORED

What year is my Z?

sahunt66

I recently got a 240Z that has been in storage since the early 90's. I'm working on getting it back on the road. I'm very happy and it's a nice car.

The old owner claimed the car is a 1970 1/2 model year. Could this be true? What year is it?

The manufacture date is 7/70. The VIN is HLS30-07736

Is there anything that explains how to read the VIN?

It's not obvious to me. There are cars on the lot today being sold as 2004's that were built in 2003. :ermm: I guess my question could have been when was the model year cutoff...July, Aug., Sept,.....?

I know that the VIN can give information such as transmission type, color, interior, options, etc. I thought maybe the code on this car contained that information too.

The VIN numbers on the Z's do not show anything except the chassis designation and the number the chassis was off the line.

Unfortunately, unlike US manufactureres and others, Nissan didn't "code" their VIN numbers to show what the car had for equipment.

Nor did they use a "fender tag" with the optional equipment that was installed.

Back in the 70's, most of the next years models cars were started somewhere around Sept, but, with the Z's coming by ship from Japan the transit times may have played into the year the car was titled as, due to it's arrival in the US. Or, when it was loaded on the ship, cars might have been missed in the lot and not shipped until the next shipment went out.

I've seen a couple Z cars that were built in Sept and titled as the following year, while a car that was built in August was titled the previous year. So, it's almost impossible to pin down an exact date the change-over occured.

Today's manufacturers (especially US manufacturers) have put out a new model year car as early as May or June.... in other words, today they change the model year any time they choose.

Back in the early 70's the DOMESTIC new cars began to be sold in October of the previous year. I.E. 1971 Ford, Chebbies, Chrysler cars began to be sold in October of 1970. Foreign car manufacturers didn't necessarily follow that scheme, though *some" effort was made by *some* manufacturers.

Your car was manufactured in 1970 and would typically have arrived in the US in 1970 also. It could have been titled as either a 1970 or 1971 depending on the arrival date and how money hungry the original dealer was. There was no "half year" model.

The link that Chloe provided explains it in much more detail.

And from what I've read in previous times and as far as I can tell,

There were 9977 cars in the first production year of the 240Z.

So if your Z is under that number than most likely it's a 70'

Info taken from "How to restore your DATSUN Z-CAR" By Wick Humble, Page 6, Paragragh 7, Line 8

Quote'' Only 9977 were registered as 1970s; 26,733 as 71s;

46,537 as 72s; and 52556 as 73s."

And further more.... a build date of 7/70 would indicate a Series 1 car. Datsun did not implement design or production changes based on Model year, but rather Calendar year during this period. Your car should exhibit all the characteristics of what we refer to as a "Series One" car.

Originally posted by Zs-ondabrain

There were 9977 cars in the first production year of the 240Z.

So if your Z is under that number than most likely it's a 70'

Unfortunately like mentioned previously, it is not that clear cut. My car is a great example! It's production date is 8/70, VIN is HLS3008215, has all the charateristics of a Series I car yet is titled as a '71. *shrug* Go figure.