IGNORED

Fuel Injection conversion?

Driftin John

Can anyone let me know whether it is reasonably possible and advantageous to install the Bosch fuel injection system off of a '76 280 ZX onto a '73 240 Z? I've got a decent degree of mechanical aptitude and good access to any equipment that I might need, but am I better off to just set my sights on a set of round top SU's and manifold from a '70-'72? I can pick up the ZX for $100 and use other parts anyway, just wanted to know if the FI is worth the effort.

Thanks,

Driftin John

I am also after info on this subject so if anyway wants to comment....

What info i have from Gav240Z is that it can be done using the e88 head (I am looking at getting the whole FI setup/PC/wiring from an R30 Skyline - I have an L24 with big valves, cam etc.

Looking foward to anyone else's opinions... :classic:

I have done this conversion before...many times...but we always used a 2.8L w n-42 head for the conversion. The only negative aspect is that if you corner real hard to the right with less than 1/3 tank of gas the fuel pump will starve and the engine will die. Check out my web site at www.geocities.com/superb60ce to see photos of a converted 72 240Z

I have seen where a guy stuffed a 75 fuel tank under his 240....the only other options are to get a 75 tank and a 240 tank and have the baffles in the 75 tank relocated to the new 240 tank the other is a resevoir of sorts...never looked into it much but you basically have to use two fuel pump, one to fill the resevoir and the other to provie the final fuel pressure. Talk with someone at SDS or TWM or TopEnd ( www.racetep.com ) I am sure they have a better answer for the problem...me I just always kept the tank better than half full, and BTW I was meaning a really sharp / hard right hand turn, like hauling arse out of the parking lot turn.

Can't see why not, might decrease you're capacity somewhat but I guess you're circuit racing anyway. Wouldn't reccommend it for Rally purpose or general driving.

Best use would be motorkhana that I can see.

If capacity is a problem look at modiying the fuel outlet to multi pickup, it is infinately easier to do than to baffle.

Originally posted by MicksZ

any ideas on how you would fix the fuel starve problem? Great Site by the way. :) Thanks for the info.

Fit an off the shelf surge tank under the car.

Use the stock 280zx fuel pump to feed the surge tank and and pick up a nice new bosch pump or 2nd hand vl turbo pump etc fed from the surge tank to supply the injectors. The surge tank will always have fuel as it is tall, thin, and the pick up is at the bottom.

This should all cost only ~$200-$300.

Sorry if i misunderstood the problem.

I installed a '78 N47 head/FI and electronic ignition on my 2.4L block - All things considered - it was easy. The wiring was completly adding to the existing. Made starting perfect! made for a very fast revving engine. I love what it did for me!

- Jeff