taikaki

Splash Pan

Hi,

I found black one from Jan.1970 issued "car graphic"in japan.

This car must be built in 1969 due to the date of issue of magazine.

I can see the black splash pan under the S20 engine.This is a fairlady Z432.

So,black pan had already been seen in 1969,I can say there have been two colors (black and silver)from 1969.

post-3193-14150793019537_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kats:

Your Nov. 69 Parts List will also "show" a front and rear spoiler for the 240-Z - but we never got them either - here in the US. Does it "show" the rear anti-sway bar? (we didn't get that either). Lots of stuff in the Parts Catalog that did not come as "standard" equipment on the US 240-Z's.

Nor did we ever get the 5.5 inch wide Road Wheels, even though they were approved for sale here and listed in the original Z Sales Brochures as "optional". (SCCA still won't allow them)

I don't think there is any question that these items "existed" in 69, the original question, from Virginia was if anyone knew the original color and texture of the splash pan.

The original color of the splash pan's - on the very few US cars that did come from the factory - with the splash pan's installed - that I have ever seen were all the very light gray. Every one that we ordered over the parts counter between 1971 and 1973 came into the Dealership in the same light gray.

If someone ordered one five or six years ago - it very well could have been repainted in Nissan's inventory over the years. I've received many old body parts over the recent years that were indeed repainted in black.

The picture of the Z432 - that picture is too dark to tell much of anything and that splash pan isn't shaped the same as the one's for the 240-Z - Is it??? It looks like it loops out wider on the sides - than the one drawn in the parts catalog and the one I have here.

I'd guess that the original question was ask - because someone is trying to restore a 240-Z to ConCours standards. (Yes/No? - if No it wouldn't matter if it was "correct" or not - would it?)

If I were a ConCours Judge - I'd still be looking for proof that any 70-73 240-Z was imported into the US with a "black" splash pan. Untill I saw that proof - light gray would be the color that scored the points for originality and then only on a very early 1970 240-Z. Right or wrong - the rules have to be documented and enforced until proven wrong and changed.

Anyone have any Nissan/Datsun issued pictures of a 1970 US 240-Z with a black splash pan installed? How about pictures of a light gray one?

FWIW,

Carl

taikaki ( who posted the original question ) now has a decision to make.

I presume ( ? ) that based on his location, his car is a US-market version. He also stated that he has a "Dealer Option" Splash Pan.

Does he paint it black, paint it grey, paint it silver, clear-coat bare steel or leave it to 'ripen' nicely with a smart coat of natural rust?

Surely if its a "Dealer Option" ( and not originally supplied on his car ) he will paint it black? Is that the correct assumption of what is "correct"?

Of course, if his car turns out to be a non-US version then it will be a slightly different matter.

What have you got taikaki?:classic:

Alan T.

I have a Question.

I read the part is NLA from Nissan, Is there an aftermarket option?I do not like road grit beating on my babby.

GREAT DISCUSSION!!!

-Brandon

What is the Z world to you?

Z Friends

I am so glad to see this much response. I wasn't sure this topic would be like this.

HS30-H

I assume that original condition of my splash pan is similar to Carl's splash pan. but it is painted on under coat.

I think I am going to paint in black(in physicall).but not sure (in psychologically)

Kats san

I have heard splash pan for 432R is FRP.

Is it true ?

Originally posted by taikaki

Kats san

I have heard splash pan for 432R is FRP.

Is it true ?

taikaki,

If Kats does not mind, I can answer this for you with an immediate illustration. The 432 and 432R are included in my particular area of interest.

The normal 432 ( PS30 model ) had a pressed steel Splash Pan. The 432R ( PS30-SB model ) model on the other hand had an FRP engine and transmission pan. It was tucked UNDER the front valance panel ( which was also FRP, and a slightly different shape to that of the 432 and other models ) and was fitted as much for aerodynamic reasons as for other functions, according to Japanese press reports and Factory descriptions of the period.

Here's a picture of the 432R version from one of the Japanese Sports Option lists. They also fitted them to some of the Factory race cars ( Z432-R & 240ZR ) in Japan:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150793024365_thumb.jpg

Alan or Kats... I noticed something in the picture of the 432R from the rear...

It has the later style C-pillar emblem that covered the C-pillar vent, yet it seems to also have the vent grilles on the hatch...

Was this something only seen on a 432R or is this another of those mysterious oddities?

2Many,

Common mistake about the Japanese-market cars, that.

In fact, the 432 ( and 432R ) emblem was round, and it had a 'Z' in it, but it was NOT a vent. It was just a flat emblem, and a bit like the bonnet ( hood ) badge of the Japanese-market cars. Not quite the same though. In fact, all of the early Japanese-market cars had this round 'Z' emblem. They could not fit them with the '240z' emblem for obvious reasons.

They fitted in the same holes as the early-type '240Z' emblem - so if you took the emblems off both cars you could swap them around.

Its interesting that the later 'vented' emblem became round in shape again, like the original Japanese-market version. There must be a tale to be told about this, and I'm wondering whether it links in to the story of Mr K's 'editing' of the original emblems on the USA-market cars?

Interesting isn't it?

Alan T.

It just struck me as a bit odd after seeing your pic you posted of the blue Fairlady in another thread... the blue car had one that said 240Z and was shaped similar to what our early cars came with and the 432R had the round one but also had the hatch vents...so, the 432R had emblems that said FairladyZ on the front fenders and on the rear only correct?

Oy, too many differences to keep track of them all.....:cross-eye

That pic of the blue car I posted in another thread was actually the "Export Model" ( a USA-market car ) at the '69 Tokyo Motor Show. Isn't that the one you mean?

Maybe I confused the issue by discussing the fact that it was emblemed-up as both a 'Datsun' and a '240Z' - but where the number plates would be they had attached cards that said "Fairlady Z Export Model".

It has the ( non-vent type ) '240Z' pillar emblems, whereas the Japanese-market cars just had the round 'Z' emblem that looked a little bit like the later ( vented ) 'Z' emblem that ALL markets got when they went to vented pillars.

Perhaps its too late at night for me to try to remember all this properly!

Anyway, the 432 & 432R were emblemed in the same way as the other Fairlady models - but with the addition of the pot-metal ( later plastic ) '432' emblem above the 'Fairlady Z' emblem at the bottom of the front wings ( fenders ) and underneath the 'Fairlady Z' emblem on the rear hatch. If a rear spoiler was chosen then the '432' emblem usually went below the 'Fairlady Z' emblem on that too,( edit: although the 432R shown at the 1969 Press Preview event in Tokyo did not seem to have the '432' emblem on the rear spoiler, most production models with the spoiler DID have it ).

There was a sticker-pack available for the 432R, which consisted of two black or white stripes fitting around '432' and 'Fairlady Z' emblems, which went along the lower part of the sides of the body. Very rare.

Alan T.

Alan, I would love it if you had a picture of a car with that sticker-pack on... if you have one?

The blue car I was referring to is the Export Model car.. guess they hadn't gotten around to changing the taillights for the show, or it wasn't intended for the US..:ermm:

I just had a look at the pic of the "new" splash pan that Carl Beck posted and wanted to point out that the one that I have on my RHD specification car is different to the one seen in the picture.

Mine is basically identical in shape, size and mounting but it doesnt have the holes in it that are seen in the one in the picture to the rear edge of the pan.

Maybe different markets got different types of splash pans and hence different colours?

Just a thought.

Regards

Joseph

Originally posted by Alfadog

Alan, I would love it if you had a picture of a car with that sticker-pack on... if you have one?

Here's one:

post-2116-14150793051757_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

The blue car I was referring to is the Export Model car.. guess they hadn't gotten around to changing the taillights for the show, or it wasn't intended for the US..:ermm:

Yes - it had the amber indicator section on the rear lights. They were probably still finalising a few details for the Export models even while this car was being diplayed.

I think this car WAS intended for the USA / North American market. Surely it must have been? It was going to be their single biggest potential export market, after all. I would love to know what VIN number that car had ( if it had one? ).

Careful what you say though, as we all know the Z was 'made' for the USA. LOL

Alan T.

Originally posted by 240 in OZ

I just had a look at the pic of the "new" splash pan that Carl Beck posted and wanted to point out that the one that I have on my RHD specification car is different to the one seen in the picture.

Mine is basically identical in shape, size and mounting but it doesnt have the holes in it that are seen in the one in the picture to the rear edge of the pan.

Maybe different markets got different types of splash pans and hence different colours?

Just a thought.

Regards

Joseph

Joseph,

I agree. Mine ( on my ZG ) sounds just like yours ( no holes ).

I think the earliest ones did not have the holes, and the Parts Lists for Japan don't show the holes either.

Same part number though.

Alan T.

Thanks Alan, interesting that the colour combination resembles the old charger RT's vitamin C orange colour with black stripes........... coincidence? hmm..